Alliant 3000 and 4000 powder

Neither of those, but I did buy a lb. of RL2000MR and tried it in several guns. In the 6 Dasher custom rifle, it did not work well with 105 Bergers. I also have a Cooper 6BR; with Hornady 105 gr. and 30 gr. 2000, it shot one group of .355 Also tried it in a M700 22-250 with 55 gr. ballistic tips, and it did not work well. I have not spent a lot of time developing loads for any of these rifles. Need to run some ladder tests.

There was an article in Handloader about 2 months ago regarding this powder. Because it is so new, load data is hard to find, and Allient's web site is pretty pathetic.

Last edited:
By now I suspect you know that Alliant 3000 was never released and it appears it never will be. It was to be called 3000-LR (large rifle). I wrote to Alliant enquiring about it and they responded that it won't be released although they didn't tell me why. If you need a powder as slow as 4000-MR, then try RL 22; one of the best magnum rifle powders available.

I have tried the PP4000MR in my 6.5/06 with 140g bullets of various flavors using Federal 210 LR primers and also in my 30/338 Win Mag with 180g, 190g, 200g and 230g bullets, using Federal 215 Magnum Rifle primers. I tried several ladder tests with the PP4000MR in both rifles and a few different seating depths from touching to .010" off the rifling and never did find anything that provided any improvement in accuracy over the powders that I normally use in those rifles. YMMV. I did find that it metered very well, I throw charges about .2 short and trickle to desired weight normally, with PP4000MR I was able to set .1 short and never had any trouble.

I know I am digging up an old thread & let me share why. American reloading is offering a very limited supply of this MP 501 of which near as I am able to extrapolate may be the same as Powerpro 3000. Suspect the power pro 3000 would same stuff as the Alliant 3000 touched on here.

What I am expecting or hoping for is gain a little more insight, is if this propellant may be similar though a bit faster than Power pro 2000.

Suppose Ill find out soon enough when I am able to do a bit of load work up in my intended caliber (6mm ARC) with 90 to 108 grain projectiles in a bolt action 6mm ARC. Though If anyone had any additional info on either Power Pro 3000 or St Marks SHP 761. see attached burn rate chart.

American Reloading description offered below.
"

MP 501 Smokeless Rifle Powder - 8 lbs

SHIPPING & HAZMAT FEE INCLUDED IN PRICE
Condition: New
Item
* Similar to SHP 761 *

FREE SHIPPING AND NO HAZMAT FEE

EXPECT 5-7 BUSINESS DAYS FOR POWDER ORDERS TO BE PROCESSED AND SHIPPED OUT

Work up all loads using SHP 761 minus 10% Minimum Load

Customer assumes all liability for care and use of this Hazardous Material NA 3178 - 4.1

NO REFUNDS ON SMOKELESS POWDER (ALL SALES FINAL)"

Last edited:

Recent Posts