Allen Mags finally broke in

lerch

<strong>SPONSOR</strong>
I went out last night hoping to finally get my 270 Allen Mag broke in. I took a buddy of mine along so he could test some loads in his 7mm Rem Mag for a upcoming mule deer hunt in october.

We set up out trusty gong at 660yds along with a paper target next to it. We also set up our standard 100yd target for load development.

After confirming my 100yd zero I proceeded to dial up my scope to what my ballistic program called for. 10 moa up was what it recommended for the 169.5 at 3230fps. After 2 shots the gong was still having a good day with no new dents in it.

My buddy began firing his sporter browning a-bolt at it but never connected. I then fired 3 shots at the paper target to get a idea of where my adjustments were off. When we examined the target I was just over 5 inches high and a good 8 inches left.

That **** bullet bucks the wind great and just floats out there. I got back to my bench and took 1.25moa off of elevation and took all but 3 clicks of wind out as well. the wind was gusting a little over 10mph kinda quartering toward us.

I leveled the crosshairs on the gong and touched the 10oz trigger. By the time I got back on the gong in my scope it was already flying backwards. The ring of the gon being hit was quite a bit louder than when we used to hit it with the 125gr 30 cal in our 300 rums going nearly 4k fps.

I loaded up another round and watched my second shot land about 2 inches under the first shot. I was being impatient and shooting the gong while it still swinging so this exaggerated the spread of the shots.

My third shot glided under the gong as it was swinging away from me so I was a little upset but had I let the gong come to a rest I know all 3 shots would have been real tight.

After this I only had 3 shots to go until I was through with the break in so while I was cleaning it my buddy duct taped a quarter to our 100yd target.

This was a old tradition when we were kids we would shot quarters or nickels and put them on our key chains.

3 shots later George Washington was having a real bad day. 2 shots landed on his head and the third just tore out the corner of the quarter.

I will try to post a pic of the quarter later. I am extremely pleased with the rifle and I am starting to not hate the stock so much though it is still not my favorite.

This weekend the Allen Mag is gonna lay waste to some pdogs so me and ugly, I mean BJ will definantly have some pics to post.

Take it easy
Steve

Now we're having fun! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Sounds like you guys are going to have to move the gong out closer to 1000 yards to make it a little more challenging. Even at that range the 270 AM's should handle it easy.

I also think you might need to start using dimes instead of quarters. Sounds like the quarters are too easy. Or at least move the quarters out to 200 yards to give ol' George a fair chance. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Keep us posted about the results of the PD's shooting this weekend.

We're going out to buddy's land this weekend to shoot pds. It is only a small town and he want them eliminated. Most of our shots will be between 320 to 450 yds so those dogs are in some serious trouble. The buzzards will eat well for a few days!!!!

here is a pic of poor George,
junk004.jpg

Not the tightest group in history but these are fireforming loads. I can't wait to see what they do when I am shooting the real deal's in her.

Steve

Lerch,

Very nice shooting, thanks for the report, I guess the 270 AM is doing alright with those 169.5 gr ULDs. Can't wait to hear about a big buck being vented at 800 yards with that rifle!!!

Keep us filled in with the P dog attacks!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Oh I won't only vent him, I am gonna dump his @$$ right where he stands!!!!!!!

I am building a 20ft tall box blind for me and BJ to hunt and video out of. I am gonna put it in a perfect spot to cover a 1000yd semi circle of scrub river bottom. Somebody is gonna get hurt.

Thanks
Steve

Steve would you stop posting these!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I have only a little while longer til mine gets done. This is killing me... Outstanding post. I really hope mine shoots this well...

If you think this is bad wait till monday when I have pics of the carnage. Imagine and 1.5lb pdog getting hit with a 169.5gr bullet going 3250fps at 150yds, ouch /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Take it easy
Steve

hey Kirby,

That gong I am shooting is about 14" tall by 12" wide by just over 1/2" thick. It is high grade steel of some sort that a buddy of mine made for us. When we would shoot it at 500 and closer with the 125gr bullet 300rums loaded to just shy of 4000fps it would leave a pretty impressive crater in it.

Richards 169 gr .308 bullets would leave a little better crater.

When I shot the 169 270 in it at 3200fps it left the best crater yet, and I do think that at full speed this sucker is just gonna leave a melted hole in my gong.

Kirby, you have created a monster

Thanks
Steve

Steve,

Well you are seeing the actual result of what Richard and I set out to design. I am extremely happy that it is turned out the way it did. You see we both had very important roles to play in making not only the 270 AM work but all of the Allen Magnums.

My job, design a round that offered enough horsepower to generate high muzzle velocities. Also, design the round to offer accuracy at extended ranges and finally build the rifle platform to get everything done correctly.

Richards job was to design a bullet, that would first off, handle the stresses of the huge rounds this crazy Montana boy came up with but then take that high initial velocity and design a bullet that would work for us down range instead of against up.

As you know, high BC bullet technology is nothing new. ITs developed alot over the last decade or so but its not new. What is relatively new is taking extreme BC bullets in medium caliber rounds, 25, 26, 27 and 28 cals and combine them with 3300-3500 fps velcoties.

The result is exactly what you are seeing, extreme velocity and energy retention at long range. As you have seen and witnessed the 270 AM hits that gong with authority for a 270 caliber round, in fact it will compete with the larger 30 cals in this respect.

Now jump things up to near 3500 fps and you will probably be getting some through hole in that plate of steel.

Basically your seeing the benefits of these new rounds and its all about down range power. Wait until you hammer a big buck at 600 yards and hear that SMACK echo back to your elevated stand. I am not BSing that I have never heard anything like the 257 and 270 AM landing on deer size game at 500-600 yards. It just has to be heard to believe. There is no doubt of a hit!!

Keep her up, when are you going to start pushing that trottle a bit harder with formed cases? You really need to see how rediculiously easy it is to hit a target at 600 yards with that 169.5 gr ULD loaded to near 3500 fps!!!

Later,

Kirby Allen(50)

trust me I am itching to start using the real allen mag cases. Me and BJ both have 150rnds all together so we have about 100rnds left a peice that we are gonna fireform before we really do the Allen Mags.

Waiting is driving me nuts but I know after it is all done the first thing we are gonna do is guy ruin the day for some 1500yd pdogs.

Take it easy
Steve

Kirby,

We're planning on fire forming all 150 rounds before we get serious. I'm not sure if I'll be able to convince Lerch of this now, but I'm going to try.

You aren't kidding about down range energy. I'm not joking when I say that the 270 AM loaded w/the 169.5 to 3200 fps gets to the target noticably quicker than my .243 or anything else I have shot for that matter. I thought it was just me, but Steve said that he noticed the same thing.

Hopefully it will be cool Sat morning and we can burn through some fireforming loads. If it's around 70 degrees we can shoot 4 or 5 shots w/out excessive heat. When it gets to 85+ 2 or three is it. Either way, there's going to be lots of dead vermin!!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts