All Weather, Reliable,Opinions!

etisll40

I want to build an all weather especially cold, wet, dirty conditions, bolt gun. What action should I choose?

In 308, 30-06, 35 whelen.

Back woods, back of the truck tough, it will get abused but it has to be accurate, under 1 MOA and reliable feeding a must. Bears and hogs...

Opinions and or experience needed.

Help...

Last edited:
I want to build an all weather especially cold, wet, dirty conditions, bolt gun. What action should I choose?

In 308, 30-06, 35 whelen.

Back woods, back of the truck tough, it will get abused but it has to be accurate, under 1 MOA and reliable feeding a must. Bears and hogs...

Opinions and or experience needed.

Help...

A precision rifle is not a very good "Truck Gun" because of the tolerances (Very close).

A rifle that will work in all conditions and dirty normally requires that the tolerances are
loose so dirt and debris will not stop it from functioning.

Most military rifles are designed for this purpose and have large chambers,bolts with plenty
of room in the action and with powerful extractors that will rip most stuck cases out. And
as a results are not very accurate.

Getting 1 MOA from these rifles is not easy as they are.

If you are looking for a 1/2 MOA rifle it may not be dependable under the conditions you
mentioned.

A good 03a3 Springfield in 3006 or a 98 Mauser in 8x57 might be just the thing for your use
and at a reasonable price. Both can be made to shoot well with some load development.

Also, optics dont hold up well when knocked around in the bed of a truck so I would recomend Iron Sites. Most bolt action rifles will function with reasonable care and even a soft case to keep the dirt
and mud out can make a huge difference.

J E CUSTOM

I agree with Jim.

A couple of other possibilities with various pros/cons...

AR10, 308, Red Dot scope with flip up co-witness iron sights

Marlin lever action Guide gun

I would take a look at a Ruger Hawkeye in the SS synthetic version.....my Hawkeye in 6.5 creedmoor shoots 3/4" all day long and is built like a tank.one cartridge to consider might be the .338 federal....perfect for what you are planning to do. Ruger can be picked up for around five bills.......just my two cents worth. Goodshot

I have a Savage and really like it. I had a match grade barrel put on it in 6.5x55. It's a real shooter.

Mine is a 2007 BGH 30-06 which I bought new a couple years ago and it doesn't have the accustock and right now I am having an SSS trigger installed.

The hog gun would be good if it was in 30-06 and no Accustock. I may buy one and rebarrel it to 35 Whelen. But I want open sights on it too.

Currently I am thinking about the Remington 7600 pump gun in 35 Whelen, do you know anything about them?

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts