All around cal.

Congrats rwk. Now you can shoot deer with 160gr and ELK with 185 > 300gr.gun)

First thing before you shoot it is get a limb saver butt pad and put it on and don't look back. I don't even have a brake on my T-3 6.6lb SS lite. You have one gun for all of North America. Enjoy.

Good luck.

Well i did it i came home with some thing i did'nt meed Ruger no. in a 338 win. Price was right and that dammed thing kept on saying take me, take me. Rich

Congrats rwk!

I'll second the recommendation to get a limb-saver or other recoil-reducer. I've shot alot of calibers up to 458Win and the 338 WM in a Ruger #1 (albeit w/ some hot handloads) was about the kickin'-est smoke pole I ever shouldered and I'm not too sensitive to recoil...

Enjoy your new hunting gun!

I had a .338 once, a little 6.5 lb custom rifle, and that was 6.5 scoped. It had a nice soft recoil pad and a small muzzle break. My load used 250 gr. bullets. It was no problem to shoot 20 rounds from the bench with this rifle... but I still prefer the 7 mag. My 8 lbs scoped 270 WSM is as effective as the 7 mag, just enough heft to settle nicely, and accurate enough to be a 600 yard marmot gun.
For me, this is the ultimate big game hunting rifle.

Flare/Corey- wonder if the cringing outiftters have a tape measure. my sendero/kreiger 7mm in three seasons : rocky mtn bighorn 182" ( 296yd) ; mule deer 223" (197yd) ; antelope 86" (590yd). my buddy and i got lucky in drawing the last couple years. of course it took 27 years for the bighorn tag. wait, no no elk in that bunch; last draw was 5 years ago . my last two elk were 11 yd and 27 yd with a 30-06. previous 6 elk though, were with a 7mm . it worked fine just like the 30-06.

I've used the "three kings" extensively.
After an almost 2 decade foray into various magnums- large, larger, and several wildcats because just "magnum" wasn't enough, I'm back to shooting a .270 (WSM) and 7 mag.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.