Albertvs

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by albertvs, May 5, 2009.

1. albertvs

albertvs New Member

I was born in 1957 in a small town called Molteno in the Eastern Cape, South Africa and grew up on a sheep and cattle farm with American saddlers that was used as farm horses. We also did some competition riding with the horses.
    During winter, which was our hunting season I spent most of my off time from school and sport on hunting. I shot my first mountain ribok at the age of 10 with a .22 winchester while i was waiting for rockrabits to show them selfs.
    After that I was hooked and can not remember a year withour hunting eccept for the two years I spend in the South african defence force ( ground to air defence unit.)

For the last 20 years I am working for Consol Glass and the last 10 years is in Cape town.

I am also a keen bow hunter and has taken some nice Blesbok Kudu with my Mathews switch back 70lbs

My favourate hunting is in the Karoo with my 243 sako and my 400xr Honda scrambler. This help me to cover very long distencs and to recover the meet very easy. ( knee operations from rugby took its bit out of me)
    I hunt for meat and do all the preperations myself from Biltong ( jerky) Boerewors ( sossage)

Looking at long distence shooting as a sport, and to improve on my hunting skils on Springbuck and Blesbuck and Kudu

Sorry if the spelling and writing is not all that good, but hope you can make out what I write.

Albert van Straaten

2. JEREMY logan

JEREMY logan Guest

Welcom to long range hunting albertvs don't worry about your spelling mine's not to good either :)

3. Len Backus

Len Backus Administrator Staff Member

Albert, welcome. I have been to the beautiful continent 3 times but not to SA yet.