Alaskan Wilderness Rifle

Fotis

Thinking about one. I like the feel and light weight. Anyone have one? What is accuracy like? Thanx

I dont have one, but I held one and know a few people with them.. When deciding between it and a full blown custom, I chose the custom, because to get what I wanted I would be close in price and without a match barrel.. For what you get I think they are a good deal. Hand picked barrels, mcmillan stock. reworked action.. Everybody I know is happy with them. The reason I didnt get one is I wanted a Win type safety, fluted bolt, and a little lighter rifle. All this considered I just went to a custom on a rem 700 action with these changes made. And I'm very happy I did. but I was very close to getting one and I don't think I'd be dissappointed if I had. If you get one let us know how it works out.

Pop,
When I called the remington custom shop, they told me the guarantee 1inch or better groups with factory ammo. You should call them and double check that. When I spoke with them it was over a year ago.. They don't advertise this fact but they will tell you this over the phone. Accuracy worry wasn't part of my equation to not get one.

My advice is get a reputable smith to build you a copy of the AWR. I bought a remington custom shop mountain rifle KS several years ago. the actions are just pulled fromthe line and are the same as on any ADL. mine had the rear scope mount holes drilled of centre line, the face of the reciever had tell tale marks on it as if it had been cut off with a cutting disc on a grinder(seen this a lot) certainly not faced of on a lathe. head space was on the large side, bolt contact was no better than any old ADL.
now i guess at the pricei paid it was ok for the money( about 1/3rd regular price) it shot around 1". i re drilled and tapped the mount holes to 8-40. faced of the reciever, worked the action over, set the head space back,, it went from 1" to 1/4 inch with the same barrel. Its on its 4th barrel right now.
Buy the cheapest ADL you can find, and get it turned into a rifle you will love. there are some good smiths on LRH pick the nearest toyou and go for it.
cheers Pete

[ QUOTE ]
My advice is get a reputable smith to build you a copy of the AWR. I bought a remington custom shop mountain rifle KS several years ago. the actions are just pulled fromthe line and are the same as on any ADL. mine had the rear scope mount holes drilled of centre line, the face of the reciever had tell tale marks on it as if it had been cut off with a cutting disc on a grinder(seen this a lot) certainly not faced of on a lathe. head space was on the large side, bolt contact was no better than any old ADL.
now i guess at the pricei paid it was ok for the money( about 1/3rd regular price) it shot around 1". i re drilled and tapped the mount holes to 8-40. faced of the reciever, worked the action over, set the head space back,, it went from 1" to 1/4 inch with the same barrel. Its on its 4th barrel right now.
Buy the cheapest ADL you can find, and get it turned into a rifle you will love. there are some good smiths on LRH pick the nearest toyou and go for it.
cheers Pete

[/ QUOTE ]

Do not think I can do all that on a SS action and teflon cat for $1200

Pop you'd be surprised what you can do for $1200. Buy the cheapest used ADL you can find.( $300?) check ebay or else where for a used HS or McMillan stock.$175?) True action/bolt $300 - $350. Stainless barrel $295. Remington bottom metal $25. teflon coat barreled action $250. bed the thing your self and you aren't far fromthe $1200 and you will have a rifle thats a step ahead of the AWR. and when you come to later re barrels, you know the reciever is true.. you don't know that with the AWR.
Pete

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.