Alaska Outfitter

etc3

I am new to this forum. Any suggestions on an Alaska Outfitter for Dall Sheep Hunt. I have looked at outfitter ratings and multiple sites but really can't determine who is tops!!.
Thx. I might add Grizzly to the hunt.

Try Hidden Alaska Guides & outfitters inc . My friends and I hunted with them many times. Outfitter ratings hes A+ . Mike Bowden is a excellent outfitter and has a great bunch of guides. High success If you are in shape and weather good!!! I'll be back up for sheep and grizz this Sept. You can't do much about the weather but you can be in good shape and use good equipment.Goodluck

I am new to this forum. Any suggestions on an Alaska Outfitter for Dall Sheep Hunt. I have looked at outfitter ratings and multiple sites but really can't determine who is tops!!.
Thx. I might add Grizzly to the hunt.

Adding grizz to the hunt gives you a pretty low percentage chance of getting both on the places I have hunted in the interior.

Down south you have a better chance. During brief times of the year you catch bears up in the high country. I never saw a bear while sheep hunting, but frequently glassed them while moose hunting.

Your best bet on choosing a reputable outfitter is to contact fish and game. I heard a fish and game guy say that a guy naked Coke had a nice outfit. But he is up north.

Thx for the input. Bowden was a Fish and game officer at one time If I am not mistaken and He has had excellent reviews.

Yes. Bowden worked for fish and game. Every year he has sheep hunters bag grizz. he doesn't have many caribou in his area. one sheep hunter a year bags one while sheep hunting but you have a better just on seeing grizz. His outfitt is in the Alaska mt range. There are some good outfitters in the Brooks range too.

For over the counter tags, look at R&R or chet benson with bear foot adventures.

For draw tags, look at Dan Montgomery or Bill Stevenson.

Next issue. Does anyone have any thoughts on plastic boots?, is there a need ?, can I get away with using mountain grade boots?

Next issue. Does anyone have any thoughts on plastic boots?, is there a need ?, can I get away with using mountain grade boots?

Most guys use what you described as mountain grade boots. I use the La sportiva Nepal evo Gtx and there hasn't been a situation where I felt like I needed more boot than that.

I would definitely try the plastics from a place with a great return policy because most people will find them far too stiff and uncomfortable.

Leather boots to look at:

Scarpa Mont Blanc
La sportiva Nepal evo gtx
Salewa raven combi gtx
Lowa mountain pro gtx
Zamberlan pamir

Plastics:
Koflach degre
Scarpa omega( if you can find them)

I've found the mountaineering boots hold up the best compared to the hunting brands.

Try them all on and see what fits your foot the best.

I used castle rock outfitters. he hunts with horses and has a high success rate. I went in August and seen a couple of huge bears but season isn't open until sept. I shot a really great sheep. I plan on going back after a moose and bear in the near future.

I used castle rock outfitters. he hunts with horses and has a high success rate. I went in August and seen a couple of huge bears but season isn't open until sept. I shot a really great sheep. I plan on going back after a moose and bear in the near future.

Who was your guide while you were there? Was he good?

I have heard there are a few marginal outfitters. Several out there with deals too good to be true and many broken hearts flying back out of Anchorage/Fairbanks.

I have my first Dall hunt this fall with Jeff Chadd's Majestic Mountain Outfitters.

Majestic Mountain Outfitters, Inc. with Jeff Chadd

I trusted a hunt broker who I have worked with successfully for several other hunts and he's hunted there himself. At $16-17k I think he's a little more than some of the value deals, but areas he has to himself a good opportunity and quality hunt.

I had to book hunt 3 years ago for this year. However, he must have had a cancel, because guy I'm hunting with just got in lately.

Since booking I've learned a little more and it seems several think Canada is worth a little extra for a little more opportunity and quality.

Steve Johnson @ Ultimate Alaskan Adventures is killing great sheep and bears every year and operates an awesome camp... And his prices are more than competitive...

Tanner

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.