Alaska Caribou, WYO, COL for make an offer

Long Time Long Ranger

I hunt Colorado, Wyoming and Alaska each year with good success. They are all backpack hunts so you must be able to do that. Elk, Deer, Bear, Antelope, Caribou, Moose. All except Alaska require drawing tags. I will let you come along and hunt with me in spots I traditionally do very well in. Matter of fact I am 100% with a few Booners in there. What you got to offer? I will swap for same animals in other states, a good Whitetail hunt, a good gun, whatever. Not offering anything other than I will show you what has typically been good hunts and you the same for me, or trade me something.

The Alaska hunt has been good for B&C caribou for years but some outfitters started moving in there two years ago from the Mulchatna herd which has had the crap shot out of it for 30 years and they are searching for new spots. Unfortunately they found one of mine. So far so good though. Last year I got a 384" double shovel with tremendous 7x7 top tines. Some 400"s+ in past years. This area produces more double shovels than anywhere else. Two bull limit which is no problem. The most fun long range hunt going other than antelope. See plenty of game at any range you want and two tags. So when you screw up and shoot the wrong bull the first time you know what to use the second tag for. They all look very big coming across the tundra. I have been hunting Alaska for near 30 years.

Last edited:
The caribou hunt sounds very interesting. I am pretty well booked up this year. I usually plan my hunts in December for the next year.

So perhaps in December, if you are still inclined, we might talk about caribou for the Fall of 2009.

Like BB, I too would be interested in Caribou or even Moose for 2009 as this year is full. I'll keep an eye on this thread and see how it progresses.

Mike

My leg has healed well and I am walking normally and hiking the mountains. Rough going for a while not knowing if I would have a leg.

The Alaska hunt is back on for next year. I have done this hunt for a lot of years and about have it worked to a science. We usually divide up all the costs between us and split it but when everyone seperates after the hunt it never works out. So for a swap this year I am just averaging the usual costs for airfare, car rental, gas, etc. and offering the hunt for a swap so you know exactly what it will cost. For $1600 I will provide everything including airfare from continental US except tags, about three meals going to and from hunt area, one night in motel before and after hunt which includes three excellent buffet meals costs $75 each, your personal stuff and backpack food. I think that is about as good a deal as you could get so what you got to offer. I can carry three hunters. It has always been 100% success on two caribou each.

Also if I can work out the logistics in time I am going moose/bear hunting from the 8th till the 21st of Sept. The rules are changing fast in Alaska and I don't know how much longer nonresidents can hunt without a guide. My best fly in areas are all resident only now. This hunt will be out of a 28' Bayliner Trophy sportfisher that can sleep 4 in a pinch. I am towing a 14' aluminum boat with motor to access camp and hunt from. My best spots are up to a 75 mile boat ride. If three hunters wanted to join me we could rent a zodiac or canoe and have two hunt from each small craft. Better in pairs in Alaska. This is extremely remote Alaska hunting and I doubt most bears have ever seen a bait or human. Sometimes so many come in they become a nuisance. Typical hunting for moose and bear is by boat covering as much shoreline as possible. I would offer this hunt for the same swap but need $1800 each since my costs are much higher with the boats. This is a trophy moose area and they must have 50" or greater spreads. Huge ones come out of this area every year.

So what you got to offer. I think this is a very reasonable offer on my end. If you can do a really good hunt cheaper please let me know because I want to go!

I am not a guide and am not offering a guided hunt for a fee. I am only averaging my costs so you will know exactly what the hunt will cost you for a swap.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.