Airgun scope

All depends on your air gun. They do make special scopes for spring powered air rifles but i don't believe that they are really necessary. I have an RWS 34 and i threw on a center point 22 rim fire scope(found at your local walmart) with the mil dot reticle and BOOM! I made a tack driver! I can hit eggs every shot @ 80 yards as long as the wind isnt terrible. If the wind is blowing then you can just forget it because that 177. pellet wont take it. I hit a crow @ 134 yards with it as well. So if your looking for a good scope then id give that a go. But to answer your question yes they do make special scopes for spring powered scopes. BSA makes one that i found in Natchez.

So does Leupold if you don't mind paying a grand for one. I know, I have one.

Actually, most high end air gun rated scopes are designed for the rapid back and forth motion a spring air gun imparts but you can use any scope actually. Modern erector mechanisms will take the back and forth motion in stride without any issues.

I actually have my leupold on a benchrest 223 target rifle, not on a spring/air rifle. I wanted that particular reticle and I wanted an AO ocular foir benchrest plus target (extended) turrets and Leupold's air gun scope filled the bill exactly, for a grand.

I plainly says Leupold Air Rifle Scope on the gold ring but you have to get up close to read it and no one does when I shoot. All they see is the gold ring, not the engraved wording.

Interesting. I didnt know that there was a leupy air gun scope. Also there is Leapers air gun scopes. Dont really know the price. I dont really get into air gunning becase if i need something small then i go with a 22 and have a ton more fun with that than a pellet gun. I do use mine for indoors rat and mouse shooting and for cleaning chipmunks and squirrels off my bait pile when i dont want to be noisy.

FYI, Hawke Optics also offers an air gun specific line of scopes with specialy reticles just for spring/air. Pretty inexpensive (compared th the Leupold) too.

I believe the Hawke lins is called the Airmax.

Most good scopes will be fine on air rifles,you need the better ones on spring guns not a problem on pcp rifles.The mention of air gun scopes specific really refers to the closer range of air guns where parallax becomes more of a problem .Most fixed power scopes have parallax set at 100yds though air gun would be 35-50yds.
So it is handy to get say a 3-9x40AO which gives you adjustable parallax at your desired range.
Hope this is of help.

also if you can get a mil-dot reticle. Come in handy when you shoot longer range. I believe i have to aim about 4 mils high @ 100 yards with no wind. 6 mils if its windy. Thats with a 15 yard zero. Took me some time to figure out where my peticular air rifle shot but comes in real handy when taking starlings @ 50-80 yards:D

Nice one starlings at range,yes mildot helps with aim points at long range.A good reticle is the SCB on the MTC range of scopes .The Mambalite 4-16x44 being a good scope for air rifles & full bore having the benefit of side focus for parallax also useful for range finding. Not sure if you have them in the States but would reccomend them to try.

My air gun scopes have AO that can be set down to 10 yards. I shoot my air rifles indoors at 10 meters and outdoors site them in at 25 yards. I have two spring powered air rifles with scope made for the extra recoil . I like shooting the Sheridan 20 Cal and Benjamin 22 Cal pump up air rifles with only four pumps indoors but to find what type of hunting pellets the rifles like I use eight pumps. The pump up air rifles have very little recoil and don't need the type of scopes made for powerfull spring powered rifles but I get them so the scope has AO down to 10 yards.

My air gun scopes have AO that can be set down to 10 yards. I shoot my air rifles indoors at 10 meters and outdoors site them in at 25 yards. I have two spring powered air rifles with scope made for the extra recoil . I like shooting the Sheridan 20 Cal and Benjamin 22 Cal pump up air rifles with only four pumps indoors but to find what type of hunting pellets the rifles like I use eight pumps. The pump up air rifles have very little recoil and don't need the type of scopes made for powerfull spring powered rifles but I get them so the scope has AO down to 10 yards.

My Grandfather had a 20 cal sheridin and that thing was dead nut accurate. Not quite as powerful as my RWS but when something shoots as good as that thing did you dont need that much power. I used to shoot squirrels between the eyes so i could at least have a challenge:D

I know I'm a little late on this topic but my 2ct, spring guns require a springer rated scope, you can get by without 1 on Co'2 or PCP {hi pressure air} but spring guns are another story, their are allot of springer rated scopes on the market from Hawke, Leapers, and a few others, even the some of the upper end Bushnell scopes are spring gun rated, not the Wally world specials they wont hold up for long but their Banner and Legend series will, I have used allot of the Leapers scopes on my air guns and they work just fine for the most part, I have extensively used their 3x9x40AOMDIR scopes and have had very good luck with them and they wont break the bank and they are a decent optic for air gunning! I have some very hi end air guns and have been that hobby for along time and have some custom built guns costing over 3k but their worth every penny if your a serious shooter/hunter:D JMO:cool:

My Model 48 RWS broke a Bushnell ScopeChief IV 2.5-8x scope within about the first 10 shots fired. Could hear a part rattling about and it was obvious from looking thru it that something let loose inside the scope.

This scope was purchased in about 1972. I sent it back to Bushnell in about 2000 and they were able to repair it, even though they no longer manufactured this scope. The Bushnell was actually a pretty decent scope back in that day and age. One of their higher quality models. After repair, I mounted the Bushnell on a .22 WMR rifle.

I purchased a relatively low cost air rifle rated scope and mounted it on the RWS. The glass in it isn't great, but it has worked well and has held together on the spring powered RWS.

The 48 model is a full power air rifle with a hefty kick if not tuned it is detuned to 12ft/lbs in the uk as are all non fac air guns.The Bushnell legends are good scopes with great glass ideal for high power air rifles .

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts