Afternoon at the range.....Roy in Idaho style!

Dan B

Before you read this I'd suggest you read Roy's post from a few days back...after my range time today I felt the same...KING OF THE RANGE!!!...but quit before I had the chance to disappoint myself! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Roy's afternoon at the range

Got home about the usual time today...'round'bout the crack of 1PM. Old lady and kids were visiting grandparents...that means time for me to get some... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif...range time that is!

Took my XP's in .250 Savage Ack Imp and the APS 7mm-270WSM. Both wear the Burris 3-12x32 with the Ballistic Plex reticle. The .250SAI shoots a 100gr SMK at 2675fps. The WSM shoot a 162gr A-Max at 2825fps.

First up was the .250SAI....posted a target at 150yds to check zero...needed a few clicks so I made the appropriate adjustments. Several months ago I provided my ballistics data to "xphunter" he graciously ran me some calc's in Exbal to match the Burris 3-12x32 w/ Ball Plex reticle. The zero of 150 puts the first stadia at 206, 2nd at 294, 3rd at 371 and the PPT at 454. So after the zeroing shots (and feeling confident) I went right for the throat....laser my next to longest gong, a 10" plate at 409yds. Bracketed the 3rd stadia and the PPT, gave aabout 1.5MOA left for wind (guessed at 10mph and less than half value). Then left the little dog eat!! I was greeted with a hardy SMACK!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Instead of taking time to get up from my prone postiion I quickly relaoded and sent another down range with the same hold....SMACK!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

So I took the stroll to check out the results of my wonderful shooting ability! Roy...see the comparison. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif The shots were within 1.5" of each other and about 2" right from center and 2" high. I was thrilled with the impacts. That's a hair longer than the max distance I'd use that gun on deer so no use burning more rounds...put it away and got the big dog!

Next I set a box with a markered 1" square bull on it at 250yds to check zero on the WSM. It also needed a few clicks so I did so and went straight to steel. The calc's from "xphunter" on this gun are 0 at 250, 1st stadia at 306, 2nd at 406, 3rd at 498 and PPT at 600yds. After the checking the .250SAI hits I repainted the 409yd plate. Since my 2nd stadia is 406, I took dead aim on the plate and about 1MOA into the wind (now picking up a little but still half value) and let her rip! SMACK! Looked and the hit was perfect for elevation but 1" into the wind...that'll do! The longest plate on the range is 508yds but it's about 25" across and so cratered that a hit (even on fresh paint) requires that you walk out. So I walked my box target from my 250yd sighter shot all the way out. After back at the line I reassessed the conditions (learned from Roy's forgetfulness /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif), held the 3rd stadia about 4" over the bull and 1.5MOA into the wind then let her loose. A large dust cloud erupted from behind the target. Instead of loosing anymore I made the walk again to see where it had landed. I'd like to say that it was a huge suprise but the gun was built by Kirby!! The bullet impacted about .2" from the edge of the square. Finally I'm working my way into shooting this gun close to what it is capable of!!

I'd like to say that I marched back and laid two more rounds on top of the first...but LR hunting is about first shot hits! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif All the rounds fired from both guns today were less than .5MOA from the POA out to 500yds. So I packed up and went home!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Experience is the best teacher, as long as that experience is someone else's. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Thanks for the honorable mentions /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.