Aftermarket VS M700 Action, Help please

Brambles

Do you guys feel there is an accuracy difference between a Blueprinted M700 and an aftermarket action such as a Defiance?

I have a donar M700 Stainless, which includes trigger, bottom metal, spring, follower. +$275 for accurizing + $150 for bolt sleeving+$50 match lug. Total $475

Defiance action/w pinned lug is $1199 +$155 for trigger+$250 for bottom metal-Box-spring-follower. Total $1604

So do you thing there is a $1129 difference in accuracy and strength?

Do you guys feel there is an accuracy difference between a Blueprinted M700 and an aftermarket action such as a Defiance?

I have a donar M700 Stainless, which includes trigger, bottom metal, spring, follower. +$275 for accurizing + $150 for bolt sleeving+$50 match lug. Total $475

Defiance action/w pinned lug is $1199 +$155 for trigger+$250 for bottom metal-Box-spring-follower. Total $1604

Hell no. And if the person that did the work on your 700 is good, you'll never see a difference in accuracy either so long as the well put together final product is done with attention to detail.

Don't know what you mean by match lug but if it is not a straight taper sidewall that matches a factory 700 recoil lug then it will not float as well and could allow a "bend" in the action/barrel junction. This would not be an issue in the tapered "v" shaped aftermarket recoil lugs if they were screwed into from the bottom but they are not. The action is. The factory recoil lug is hardened steel. Many of the "oversized" recoil lugs are not and cut easily.

Mike Walker designed that recoil lug with a straight wall for a reason. Just because some people are great shooters does not make them great gun smiths, especially if they do not build rifles.

One of the aftermarket actions that might lend a problem in the field is a BAT. Their tolerances are so small that any debris might fault normal function.

I see this as a "good" thing for bench shooters. I have mixed emotions with a field rifle.

Hell no. And if the person that did the work on your 700 is good, you'll never see a difference in accuracy either so long as the well put together final product is done with attention to detail.

Don't know what you mean by match lug but if it is not a straight taper sidewall that matches a factory 700 recoil lug then it will not float as well and could allow a "bend" in the action/barrel junction. This would not be an issue in the tapered "v" shaped aftermarket recoil lugs if they were screwed into from the bottom but they are not. The action is. The factory recoil lug is hardened steel. Many of the "oversized" recoil lugs are not and cut easily.

Mike Walker designed that recoil lug with a straight wall for a reason. Just because some people are great shooters does not make them great gun smiths, especially if they do not build rifles.

Match lug as far as I'm aware is thicker and ground true,
When had my titanium built the factory lug was not true so the gunsmith installed a "match" lug and its a fair bit thicker than the factory one, not sure if its hardened or ??

Thanks for the reply, I'm all for saving smart money if there is no difference in the end, I have no issues if its a substantial improvement but so far it seems that is not the case.

As long as the aftermarket lug has the same SHAPE as a factory lug with straight walls, per OEM design you are ok with it being "surface ground" to true the effacement.

Thicker is ok but completely unnecessary. It's when you start using this:

p_840700102_1.jpg

with the tapered that you can run into repeated indexing problems if the action and stock are separated on any degree of frequency.

There are naysayers who will disagree with this but nothing is going to change my mind.

This shape lug, even thicker, is ok:

img.php

I'm curious how a guy would have indexing issues with a lug that is pinned to the action then bedded into the stock, if your lug changes position just form removing the action and barrel from the stock I would think you have more serious issues that need addressed!

If it is bedded tight it wont be a problem. That is why they are tapered. So they come out of tight bedding easier. If the sides and front of the lug is clearanced then you might have a argument but the same can be said for a straight lug if it is clearanced.

Rather than have the gunsmith sleeve the bolt have him ream the action and buy a PTG oversized bolt if you feel the need to tighten up the action clearances.

I'm curious how a guy would have indexing issues with a lug that is pinned to the action then bedded into the stock, if your lug changes position just form removing the action and barrel from the stock I would think you have more serious issues that need addressed!

My point is it is NOT an issue using the proper designed recoil lug which is the original straight walled design.

It depends entirely on how you measure accuracy.
Perhaps there's enough difference on a 200yd benchrest rifle.
But, not noteworthy on a 1000yd hunting rifle.

The Defiance should not require "blueprinting". And, it will likely retain value slightly better over time.

IMHO -- It's simply a choice.
-- richard

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.