Aftermarket firing pin assemblies for savage

No argument from me on the true definition, but I used those numbers because they were posted by Fred Moreo (I assume that is who you were referring to?) in September 2010 on Savage Shooters Forum. I think he knows a thing or two about a Savage.

whoops! I am in error! My figures for the Savage were for the long action, and the short action was still in the planning stage. Tobe exact all the action may have been long action guns (not all that sure). A mod. 12 should come in a little faster than the 112 due to weight issues alone.
gary

Yeah, probably all academic. If you can not setup and hold good for through the shot then 1.6ms or 5ms, it is not going to matter much.

I think if it really mattered all that much, then the big custom action makers would have put the resources into improving their lock times more than they apparently have.

I've done several guns with speedlock kits in the past, and now have some second thoughts about what I did, and wether or not I created another problem elsewhere. But on the otherhand maybe I'm just picking specks out of the sky. Now I'm thinking that a super hard strike on the primer might be moving the case in the chamber slightly, and also have a nagging feeling that the firing pin might hitting so hard that it's bouncing on the primer face. Perhaps I'm wrong, I don't know. But the subject makes me think a little bit
gary

I've done several guns with speedlock kits in the past, and now have some second thoughts about what I did, and wether or not I created another problem elsewhere. But on the otherhand maybe I'm just picking specks out of the sky. Now I'm thinking that a super hard strike on the primer might be moving the case in the chamber slightly, and also have a nagging feeling that the firing pin might hitting so hard that it's bouncing on the primer face. Perhaps I'm wrong, I don't know. But the subject makes me think a little bit
gary

Lock time can be improved in several ways. Heaver springs or lighter firing pin assemblies.

Most of the speed locks kits have both but with the lighter firing pin the inertia is reduced
some and if set properly should not cause piercing.

As far as pushing the case forward, they all do that and head space has control of how much.

The coiling effect of the Factory spring producing drag on the bolt body Is the main problem
with lock time in factory rifles.

I don't recommend a spring or firing pin assembly change just to do it. Only if there is a problem.

With good shooting skills (Squeeze and follow up) lock time is not that important unless it is
very slow, then it can help.

Also as some people have found out, the proper installation is paramount for good performance
of the firing pin assembly.

Firing pin protrusion must be set correctly to have good performance.

You are right to think about it because in many cases it is not nessary .

Whats the old saying "If it ain't broke,Don't fix it".

J E CUSTOM

Lock time can be improved in several ways. Heaver springs or lighter firing pin assemblies.

Most of the speed locks kits have both but with the lighter firing pin the inertia is reduced
some and if set properly should not cause piercing.

As far as pushing the case forward, they all do that and head space has control of how much.

The coiling effect of the Factory spring producing drag on the bolt body Is the main problem
with lock time in factory rifles.

I don't recommend a spring or firing pin assembly change just to do it. Only if there is a problem.

With good shooting skills (Squeeze and follow up) lock time is not that important unless it is
very slow, then it can help.

Also as some people have found out, the proper installation is paramount for good performance
of the firing pin assembly.

Firing pin protrusion must be set correctly to have good performance.

You are right to think about it because in many cases it is not nessary .

Whats the old saying "If it ain't broke,Don't fix it".

J E CUSTOM

you said it! I think I tried to fix a problem that did not exist with the Savage. But on the otherhand I think it helped the Remington. I have a Winchester in 6BR that has one installed (still unfired), and I kinda think it will show the greatest improvment.
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.