Aftermarket firing pin assemblies for savage

frequent misser

I have finally gotten on the savage bandwagon and decided to build a 7 stw on a 110 action. I had picked up a 110 270 for next to nothing and decided I should do something with it. After firing it in factory form it seemed like it took a month of sundays after you pulled the trigger for the firing pin to hit home. I have been looking for an aftermarket firing pin assembly with a stiffer spring but have come up empty. Can anyone tell me where I can find one? I have replaced the original ones in my remingtons but have come up empty in my quest for tricking out this savage. Thanks for any help.

Have you pulled the bolt apart to check that all is in good shape? Savage's have a considerably faster lock time than Remingtons. If you are noticing a delay something is wrong with the gun/bolt.

I would either call Savage directly about parts or try Sharp Shooter Supply.

I did take it apart and clean it. It was a little gummy in there. I am exagerating a little bit. It still just seems a touch slow to me. I have checked sss and most of the other gun places I would expect to find something. I am just wanting a stiffer spring than factory. If I can't find anything I will try another factory spring. I'm just wondering if there isn't something a little better out there that I haven't found yet. I know there are a bunch of savage guys here and I am hoping someone has tweaked out one of these actions and been here done this.

I have finally gotten on the savage bandwagon and decided to build a 7 stw on a 110 action. I had picked up a 110 270 for next to nothing and decided I should do something with it. After firing it in factory form it seemed like it took a month of sundays after you pulled the trigger for the firing pin to hit home. I have been looking for an aftermarket firing pin assembly with a stiffer spring but have come up empty. Can anyone tell me where I can find one? I have replaced the original ones in my remingtons but have come up empty in my quest for tricking out this savage. Thanks for any help.

I did a Tubbs speedlock in one of my 112's, and it was noticeably faster, but didn't shoot any better. Actually I think the firing pin hit so hard that it might have been moving the cases. One of these days I'm going to do some experimenting with the spring pressurers. In a Mod. 12 I don't think there's much to gain with a speed lock kit, and I've heard Fred over at Sharpshooter say they are a waste of money.
gary

Savage lock time is something on the order of 1.65ms. Compare that with a Remington short action at 2.6ms, or a Winchester M70 at about 3ms.

If you feel yours is slow I would put a factory spring in it and see if that helps. A factory Savage has a lock time on par with about any of the best custom actions from what I understand.

Savage lock time is something on the order of 1.65ms. Compare that with a Remington short action at 2.6ms, or a Winchester M70 at about 3ms.

If you feel yours is slow I would put a factory spring in it and see if that helps. A factory Savage has a lock time on par with about any of the best custom actions from what I understand.

I've seen that same set of numbers before, and all are bogus. The correct calculation for lock time is really when the trigger lets the hammer go (or whatever method used). A Remington is well into the mid threes and a savage is in the mid twos. A Winchester (or most all Mauser actions) is in the fours. The only thing slower is a Springfield and an Enfield. The fastest known lock time on a production rifle is a 788 Remington, and it is about 2.6ms (or somewhere close). Most gun writers acting as a shill for a company (usually getting freebies by the way) will use calculation of nothing but the firing pin inside the bolt; this is incorrect because that's only the last half of the lock time mechanics. Fred Morello a few years back did a thesis on what was happening and how. He went so far as to publish the correct numbers (you have the in the correct order, but the times are no way close). What I thought was amazing was how slow many of the custom bench rest actions are. Lock time always starts when the trigger breaks; not when the firing pin starts moving.
gary

What style cocking sleeve do you have? That is the piece that holds the cocking pin in the firing pin.

They made two different styles. A fully round one with a keyhole slot milled in it, and the other is slotted all the way through.

Both of them can be out of round and drag in the bolt body as the firing pin is released. The slotted one is more prone to opening up and dragging more.

I replace my slotted ones with round ones. Make sure it is really round. Polish the outside of the sleeve. Polish as much of the inside of the bolt body as possible.

That is a good question. I really could not tell you. My action is at the gunsmiths currently. I can tell you it is the preaccutriger. Probably a mid 90's model. I bought it from a good friend of mine. He is retired and not much of a deer hunter. I think I probably put more rounds through it than him just sighting it in for him each year. I need to head back over to seee my smith to give him some more cash. I will check next time I am over and see which I have. Thanks for the replies guys.

I use just the aftermarket springs because they are smaller in diameter and do not coil around
the firing pin and drag on the inside of the bolt.

Wolff Makes one for the 110 that is 32 LBs and I think midway has them. Part # 474835.

Midway also has the Savage firing pin assemblies .

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
Thanks JE. That is exactly what I was looking for. I think I will do a little polishing and swap a new wolf in. I had checked midway for springs and all I had seen was the factory springs on their website. Thanks for the part #.

I've seen that same set of numbers before, and all are bogus. The correct calculation for lock time is really when the trigger lets the hammer go (or whatever method used). A Remington is well into the mid threes and a savage is in the mid twos. A Winchester (or most all Mauser actions) is in the fours. The only thing slower is a Springfield and an Enfield. The fastest known lock time on a production rifle is a 788 Remington, and it is about 2.6ms (or somewhere close). Most gun writers acting as a shill for a company (usually getting freebies by the way) will use calculation of nothing but the firing pin inside the bolt; this is incorrect because that's only the last half of the lock time mechanics. Fred Morello a few years back did a thesis on what was happening and how. He went so far as to publish the correct numbers (you have the in the correct order, but the times are no way close). What I thought was amazing was how slow many of the custom bench rest actions are. Lock time always starts when the trigger breaks; not when the firing pin starts moving.
gary

No argument from me on the true definition, but I used those numbers because they were posted by Fred Moreo (I assume that is who you were referring to?) in September 2010 on Savage Shooters Forum. I think he knows a thing or two about a Savage.

SharpShooter said:
Remington short action- 2.6 ms.
Savage short action- 1.65 ms.
Stolle Panda- 3.2 ms.
Colt AR-15- 6.0 ms.

What style cocking sleeve do you have? That is the piece that holds the cocking pin in the firing pin.

They made two different styles. A fully round one with a keyhole slot milled in it, and the other is slotted all the way through.

Both of them can be out of round and drag in the bolt body as the firing pin is released. The slotted one is more prone to opening up and dragging more.

I replace my slotted ones with round ones. Make sure it is really round. Polish the outside of the sleeve. Polish as much of the inside of the bolt body as possible.

good idea! Never gave that much thought, so thank you!
gary

No argument from me on the true definition, but I used those numbers because they were posted by Fred Moreo (I assume that is who you were referring to?) in September 2010 on Savage Shooters Forum. I think he knows a thing or two about a Savage.

I'm going back several years prior. Tobe exact it may have been on the old (and now extinct) AOL shooters board. It was just about the time frame that I did the Tubbs speedlock kit in a 112 rebuild (not much of one). Perhaps his views have changed? I do know that a guy did an article in P.S. a few years back on the same subject, and his times kinda mirror yours. But he was doing nothing but math equations involving the spring, and firing pin data. Came up with some crazy number for a Remington (slightly over 2.2ms with a Gray Tan speed lock kit). I knew he was out in left field because I have the better speedlock kit that Tubbs quit selling (the one with the titanium firing pin) with a spring that felt like a race hemi valve spring. Fred was talking about using an electrical triggering device to measure the lock time. Anyway it's not all that important as the savage is much faster than a Remington 700 (over 30%), and still not quite as fast as a 788.
gary

I'm going back several years prior. Tobe exact it may have been on the old (and now extinct) AOL shooters board. It was just about the time frame that I did the Tubbs speedlock kit in a 112 rebuild (not much of one). Perhaps his views have changed? I do know that a guy did an article in P.S. a few years back on the same subject, and his times kinda mirror yours. But he was doing nothing but math equations involving the spring, and firing pin data. Came up with some crazy number for a Remington (slightly over 2.2ms with a Gray Tan speed lock kit). I knew he was out in left field because I have the better speedlock kit that Tubbs quit selling (the one with the titanium firing pin) with a spring that felt like a race hemi valve spring. Fred was talking about using an electrical triggering device to measure the lock time. Anyway it's not all that important as the savage is much faster than a Remington 700 (over 30%), and still not quite as fast as a 788.
gary

Yeah, probably all academic. If you can not setup and hold good for through the shot then 1.6ms or 5ms, it is not going to matter much.

I think if it really mattered all that much, then the big custom action makers would have put the resources into improving their lock times more than they apparently have.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts