Aerodynamic Jump and Ballistic Solutions

MMERSS.
Aerodynamic Jump.

You wrote that you click DOWN for a 90 degree Wind and UP for a 270 degree Wind. Are you sure? To me 90 degrees = 3 o'clock and 270 degrees = 9 o'clock, and I would click just the other way around. Any comments??

A wind from the left pushes the bullet right and down (my 270) and a wind from the right pushes the bullet left and up (my 90). Obviously corrections will be in the opposite direction.

Squat!!!!!

I think I'll just give up and accept a few misses. . .:rolleyes:

Roy,

No misses here! Being a responsible hunter making the decision to shoot in strong crosswinds you have limited your range to acceptable hit probability.....No need to worry for the vertical corrections we are talking about here....Most people prefer to count sheep at night....others percentages.....those counting sheep get better rest.....any guesses what I count at night and why I'm sometimes cranky?:D

Beers? LOL

My ap, Shooter, does not account for full value wind direction. At any mph 90 or 270 wind the program gives no vertical. This is where I struggle and compounded with slopes that produce vertical wind movement I sometimes feel like I should go back to my bow. Unfortunately I am stubborn and want to understand this issue. First round impacts is the ultimate goal right? I mean we can fling lead all day until we hit the target but it doesn't count in my book.

First round impacts is the ultimate goal right? I mean we can fling lead all day until we hit the target but it doesn't count in my book.
This should be the charter here at LRH.

Unless you account for so many things, like this subject, and horizontal & vertical coriolis, cold bore POI, etc, your first(only) shot on game will be limited in range to your system/method capability -and killzone.
This means disciplined stalking & positioning, as well as a prepared shooting system.
Since we don't 'need' to hunt food anymore, our hunting challenge should mean something else(like shot/kill %).

The hogwash of walking shots into steel at a mile, should not be tolerated here, much less embraced.

The hogwash of walking shots into steel at a mile, should not be tolerated here, much less embraced.

Mikecr,

For the purposes of big game hunting I can agree with your comment. However, which is the worse of two evils; killing an overrun gopher field with poison or allowing ELR hunters the opportunity to "walk" shots onto this problem while perched upon their home?

MMERS.
I would appreciate it, if you would expand on your method for establishing your maximum effective range (MER).

This will take me some time to put together but I will get back with you on this. I spent four months testing an uncertainty method coached in the Montana Maximum Effective Range Shooting School (MMERSS). This method is a quick and easy approach with establishing a maximum effective range with close approximation to a combining root sum squared (RSS) uncertainty.

This will take me some time to put together but I will get back with you on this. I spent four months testing an uncertainty method coached in the Montana Maximum Effective Range Shooting School (MMERSS). This method is a quick and easy approach with establishing a maximum effective range with close approximation to a combining root sum squared (RSS) uncertainty.

I always wondered what was behind your handle...

This should be the charter here at LRH.

Unless you account for so many things, like this subject, and horizontal & vertical coriolis, cold bore POI, etc, your first(only) shot on game will be limited in range to your system/method capability -and killzone.
This means disciplined stalking & positioning, as well as a prepared shooting system.
Since we don't 'need' to hunt food anymore, our hunting challenge should mean something else(like shot/kill %).

Mike, you gotta start somewhere. I agree, you better have the ability and be confident of it when taking a long shot on game. But while you're learning and developing loads etc., you're going to miss a few. In the mean time, you're getting trigger time and gaining proficiency and the more you practice and learn the more able you are to make that first shot.

Roy,

No misses here! Being a responsible hunter making the decision to shoot in strong crosswinds you have limited your range to acceptable hit probability

When I made that post I had my practice sessions agains viral rocks in mind.

Haven't missed a game animal in years.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.