Advise on Scope Power

rpatowers

I just finished building a 7mm Dakota with a Borden Timberline action, Krieger barrel, McMillan A-5, smithed by Gre-Tan. The ranch where I hunt is such that my longest shots will be around 800 yards, but I may want to occasionally shoot rocks/steel at longer ranges. I have a Leupold 4.5 x 14, 50 mm objective, 30mm body, side focus, dot reticle, with target knobs and I'm wondering if I need more power. I'm thinking of upgrading to a Leupold 8.5 x 25 LR, but I'm very broke at this point and rather not go into more dept. However, I've come this far and will spend the money if I think more power is the way to go.

What do you all think? Will my existing scope cut it for me or should I go for more power?

I have a bit of trouble picking up the dot reticle in low light conditions,and I am going to have a new reticle installed (if I stick with the 4.5 x 14). I will have custom elavation dials made and will dial the scope in for range when making shots on game (no Kentucky windage here) so I'm thinking of going with a duplex reticle. What do you all suggest for a reticle?

Thanks!

I'd have Leupold change the reticle in the 4.5-14, and add the drop compensation. Good pictures available of reticles available at Leupolds site. Others online youtube etc. CS tactical has quite a few on this site as well. I just bought a scope from Mike great service, very helpful. I think they are in Sacramento, so if online doesn't work for you not to far.
Lots of choices out there, catering to lots of different eyes. My night vision is going fast , the Leupold Illuminated TMR has put several critical minutes back in my hunting day. Even in good light it "seems" to sharpen the reticle for me. Lots of others have similar options, but it's back to the expense of a new scope.

I don't know how big your Rocks / Steel are for shots at 800 Yards and beyond , but for Prarie Dog sized Targets , my 16X Leupold just does'nt cut it past 600 Yards or so . However , my eyes are getting old & tired too .

Well, I found a 8.5 - 25 Leupold, 50mm objective, LR, with target knobs on this web site and bought it. My 4.5 x 14 is now for sale (on ebay).

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.