Advise on 338 WM load

cavtrooper94

I've decided on a 338 WM as my ALASKA rifle. I am curious what you guys think I should load for it. I was thinking maybe the 225gr accubond or a tipped tripple shock. Right now my primary focus is Moose, Caribou, and fending off the occasional bear. I plan to mount a 4-14 Leupold on the Savage 116. Assuming I use the 225 Accubond, what kind of range can I get. Forgive my ignorance I never thought I would own a 338 WM so I never really read into them.

Thanks Much

I would use the 250 accubond because bullet weight is your friend especially with those bigger animals. You cant have too much knock down power. if you go tripple shock tipped or non you could go 225 or 250 because of the 100% weight retention. the accubond probably has the best B.C. I dont know what velocity you should expect with them without looking it up. but with out a drop compensating scope I would expect a shot inside 400 yards would be very doable. if you are using a pre doped reticle or a turret then sky is the limit.

You can read on your other thread what I am probably using in Alaska this year. I have taken moose to 1100 yards with the 338 win mag so it will do the job. I would suggest not getting the 4-14 leupold scope. Field of view is critical in bear country and this scope has very little. A 3-10 class scope is plenty of power and if you surprise a bear you actually have a chance of seeing it through the scope to stop it.

+1 on longtimelongrangers post.
I am not a huge fan of the high power scopes however you could keep the power turned down if you like the option of higher power but in all reality you can shoot a long long way with a 10 power and they are less expensive to boot. some guys think they shoot better on high power... i think its in their heads.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.