Advice wanted on my sizing / brass usage.

Been loading for 30 years. Never blown up. I quit loosing brass when I switched to Lee Collet dies. I havn't full length sized a case in over 10 years. I load for 22-250 25-06, 25-06AI same Lee die, 257wby Same Lee die, 7Mag, 300Wby and I don't even own a primer pocket tool or brush of any kind any more. I trim and debur once and never again. My non-magnum cases will go 20+ firings and I run them right up there. All my guns shoot really tight. I quit full length sizing when my dad got ticked my reloads wouldn't fit in his guns. We own a lot of sister guns. His full length sized shells would head separate in as few as 3 firings. Just keep your lugs and recesses clean and greased and let them fit snug. All mine shoot best that way.

[ QUOTE ]
Try anniling the mouth that seems to make a cart. last a little longer.

[/ QUOTE ]
and,
[ QUOTE ]
Might want to anile the case after 4 shot. That seems to soften up brittle case necks for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

So what you are saying is that if I anneal the necks of my brass that it will help prevent the case head, the part the primer calls home, from splitting away from the case walls?

Ok I'll bite. How does this work?

I really like Waltech Jim idea where he writes: <font color="red"> I score the case heads with an old sharpened screw driver. </font> Maybe I could ask Kirby to weld a screwdriver tip into my bolt face to automatically score the brass /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Annealing won't help your web problem, but it will prevent neck splitting - a problem u don't have. If you're interested in annealing, look at my annealing page

I don't FLS, I <font color="red"> PFLR </font> - Partial Full Length Resize - You can read about that at PFLR When I get my Kirby/Lilja RUMS back from Kirby, I'll probably spring for some custom dies (you send in 5 fired brass and they scan your fire formed brass and create a die to your exact chamber)

You might want to review Measuring Headspace - You should know your headspace and that is a likely cause of web stretching. I think goodGrouper is right on when he states [ QUOTE ]
You may have a die that is really short and is cranking the shoulder back very drastically. Then you fireform it forward a mile every time you pull the trigger. Then you crank the shoulder back again and the whole process is like a tug of war match. Back and forth, back and forth until it snaps!

[/ QUOTE ]
But I thought it was more common for the opposite, too much headspace

Hey Big

[ QUOTE ]
Annealing won't help your web problem, but it will prevent neck splitting - a problem u don't have.

[/ QUOTE ]

(whispering with hand up to mouth) I know. That is why I highlighted those portions of my own quotes. I'm wondering what the heck he is thinking. I'm trying to be obvious without being rude. Thanks though. I'm pretty good at separating the wheat from the chaff.

[ QUOTE ]
I think goodGrouper is right on

[/ QUOTE ]

(regular voice now)Yep. Me too. I had not seen this on any other brass I reload though so I figured I would see what others might have to say about it.

Thanks again for your response.

that is a good peice of reading. thank you. i would really like to see the case heads so i can see exactly where you are marking the case.could you send me some pics please. the ones you have posted will not pop up. thanks again, bob. gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts