Advice Please!!!

Jim Hundley

A couple of general questions:
I reload for the .300 Win.mag.with hunting bullets.I am working with the Quick Load program.There is a value to be added in this program called "shot start"pressure.What value should I place in this spot when using a Federal GM215m or a WLRM primer?
Another question is there anything that I am over lookingi.e. advantages/disadvantages in using slow burning powders in this caliber with 165-180grn.bullets?I have used powders such as H-1000,Retumbo,Ramshot magnum with great accuracy and no conventional pressure signs even though the loads are compressed.I have attained higher velocity with these powders and 1/2" and under accuracy.I have used the popular powders like RL-22,Hodgdon 4831sc with good results ,also.It seems spooky to me that just about any combination that I load seems to provide acceptable results.Am I overlooking the obvious or just lucky?I am fairly new to reloading.Would welcome any commits or advice.
Thank you,
Jimmy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Jimmy

Have you tried the Sierra loads in the 5th handloading manual? If you need any help, I would be happy to offer any recommendations or help.

Thomas

Thanks to all.No,I haven't tried any Sierra loads.It is the only manuel that I don't have at this time.Are there many choices for a 150 or 168 hunting bullet?
Jimmy

300 win mags hold a good portion of the 1000 yard br records and that is not a coincidence. They flat work. You might have a very easy-going rifle that likes all loads and that is something to be grateful for. Enjoy it because the next rifle you buy probably will be more finicky!

Sierra Recommends: (Most Accurate load)
150 gr. IMR-4895 61.5 gr. Velocity = 3100 Ft.-Lbs = 3201
168 gr. MagPro 77.2 gr. Velocity = 3000 Ft.-Lbs = 3298

Thomas

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.