advice on which rifle to choose....

hittman86

sorry guys if i am posting in the wrong spot as this is my first post here. i am new to the long range world and am pondering which rifle/platform to go with. i have experience with the 700 and being left handed am kind of limited. my choices are the remington 700 sps varmint and having it put in a Whidden 140 stock or a savage left hand FLCP-K. i like the remington design but that is all i know the savage has the accutrigger and accustock so it is aluminum bedded from the factory. as far as glass a vortex viper 6.5-20x50 will reside on top. does anyone have any experience with either of these two setups? which ever i choose will primarily be a varmint/paper/steel shooter. 308 is the caliber i am going to go with.thanks in advance for any inputgun)

Welcome hittman86, sounds like you are on the right track. You won't go wrong with either of your choices. I would just like to add that if you are a person who likes to tinker, you might appreciate the Savage a bit more, but if you prefer to pay someone to do the work for you, the Remington might be what you want. If you do get hooked by the lrhb (long range hunting bug) you may just decide to upgrade more than you think. Good shooting!!!

so i finally decided on the savage flcp-k, glass will be a vortex viper 6.5-20x50 riding on a egw 20 MOA base anyone out there shoot anything like this setup?

quick question here if the scope i have has 68 moa of adjustment will that be enough to get a 100 yard zero with it sitting on a 20 moa base?

Your answer will depend on the ballistics of the caliber you are shooting. You might as well get started on the next phase of your learning curve. Go to this page on LRH and choose one of the ballistic software programs:

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/ballistics-programs-web-based-downloadable-9647/

Enter your data, based on your load (or expectations). The software will give you the MOA that need to be dialed in to hit your target at various distances.

If you have 68 total MOA range in you scope, then roughly half of that will be available to you (usually a little bit less). So call it 30 to 32 MOA of travel. That should get you out there quite a ways.

sorry guys if i am posting in the wrong spot as this is my first post here. i am new to the long range world and am pondering which rifle/platform to go with. i have experience with the 700 and being left handed am kind of limited. my choices are the remington 700 sps varmint and having it put in a Whidden 140 stock or a savage left hand FLCP-K. i like the remington design but that is all i know the savage has the accutrigger and accustock so it is aluminum bedded from the factory. as far as glass a vortex viper 6.5-20x50 will reside on top. does anyone have any experience with either of these two setups? which ever i choose will primarily be a varmint/paper/steel shooter. 308 is the caliber i am going to go with.thanks in advance for any inputgun)
For the applications you are talking about you should really consider the Remington and take a hard look at the .260 over the 308. Much flatter trajectory and the 260's have been rocking the sniper competitions the last two years.

SouthPaws Unite!!! lol

I have three 700's and four Savages (2-110's & 2-12's), only 1 of the seven mentioned are still in "stock" configuration, all are capable of outstanding accuracy & top notch reliability.

I'm glad to see you've made your selection, that Savage will take care of you for a long time, plus, most 'smithin can be done by you at home. You might pick up a bolt lift kit right away, at less than $10 I think it's worth it. If there is any advice you take from this forum it's this....

Practice, practice, practice, practicegun)

I have a Savage and the Viper 6.5-20. I also have it configured in .308. I currently have 58MOA left in the scope after zeroing at 100yds. It use to be a Savage Mod 12 VLP. It is now a full on custom. I put it together. As much as it pains me to say it. I would suggest getting a Savage model w/o the Accu-Stock. Save that money to get a quality aftermarket stock that will work better. I was a proponent to the Accu-Stock, but it seems a lot of people are having trouble tweaking and getting them to shoot well. Here's my set up in the Savage... sorry wrong hand for you, but still doable.

Johnspics3-10-11025.jpg

Tank

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.