Advice on this scope......keep it or ????

G

Long time ago, when they first came on the market, I bought a Sendero in 300 win mag and topped it with a Leupold Vari X III 4.5X14X50 AO.......now that I'm learning more about shooting longer range......I realize that the scope is probably not the best tool for the job.......so......should I sell this one and buy something else......or.....should I send it back for target turret installation...... or......something else???

If you say sell it......what, specifically, would you replace it with???

Put it on eBay if you decide to let it go. Those folks are totally nuts about Leupolds and they'll bid it to a handsome price, I feel sure. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Dan

[ QUOTE ]
If you say sell it......what, specifically, would you replace it with???

[/ QUOTE ]

This

And the appropriate sunshade.

Or have the turrets replaced and a fine duplex reticle or a mildot reticle installed if it dosen't already have one. The leo is a fine scope.

4ked horn

Been looking at those.......hope to get to actually handle one next week. Are they really that good???

We just got one for my bro for Christmas. The scope seems well designed all around. Great eye relief at all powers, easy to read turrets, fast focus on (padded) ocular ring, good clear glass, and a flawless finish. We bought it through those friendly folks at the optic zone for $30 less than any other source. It is mounted on a Rem 700 in .338 win mag that will be used on LR deer and elk next year.

We haven't shot it yet but we will let everyone know how it holds up, good or bad.

We decided to buy it based on the other positive reviews given by folks here and a quick trip to the local store to look at one in the flesh.

GonHuntin,

Regarding the 4.5-14 Nikon Buckmaster mildot:

I have recently recieved two (one for myself and one I recommended for a friend).

For the money, they are very nice scopes. I haven't put either through their paces like some on this board have (Re: Jerry Teo) but it certainly has held up to my expectations. Its the first scope I've ever used with any type of holdover recticle, and having used it, I don't think that I would want to go back to a scope without it for big game hunting out to ~ 600 yards.

That said, I have a Leupold VX-III 6.5-20x40 LR and for my money, it has superior glass. Not dramatically superior, but still looks better to me. If I were you I would price a recticle change, would also consider what you might net if you sold your scope and bought a Buckmaster.

4ked horn,

If you have one, is there any chance you could post a pic of the buckmaster with a sunshade? Like to see how it looks with the rounded scope body.

Thanks,
Carl

The BIG question......is there any way to hide or remove any hint of the Buckmaster logo (I can't stand that show or Jackie Bushman!)?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If I have to see Buckmaster everytime I use it.......well, I'd rather use a cardboard tube with a black thread reticle!!!

[ QUOTE ]
4ked horn,

If you have one, is there any chance you could post a pic of the buckmaster with a sunshade? Like to see how it looks with the rounded scope body.

Thanks,
Carl

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny you should ask that. I was just going to edit my post with this comment:

If I had to pick one flaw it would have to be that the "european" styling of the scope (rounded corners and longer lines)comes to an abrupt end at the addition of the sunshade. The sunshade is a simple cylinder so there is a wee drop off where the objective bell meets it.

It almost looks like the sunshade slides out from the inside of the bell somehow. IT IS NOT OBJECTIONABLE. It is just what it is. The black tones are a perfect match.

Picture pending. Check back later.

Zingdingo

My Leupold has a standard duplex crosshair that is fine, but it does not have target turrets.........no easy way to dial up elevation for a long shot.........

[ QUOTE ]
The BIG question......is there any way to hide or remove any hint of the Buckmaster logo (I can't stand that show or Jackie Bushman!)??

If I have to see Buckmaster everytime I use it.......well, I'd rather use a cardboard tube with a black thread reticule!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Black sharpie marker. It will soon go unnoticed.

Where is the dreaded Buckmaster logo??? If it's on the front ring, will a buttler creek flip up cover it???

I'm serious......when I hear Buckmaster......I think cheap and cheesy!

GonHuntin,

How far (and what) are you planning on shooting?

When I'm hunting chucks I like to dial in my elevation (plus my Leupold just has a fine plex), but for hunting big game animals an unobscene distances I definately prefer using a recticle with multiple aiming points. For me it is alot faster, plus I actually think I have more confidence than when I spin knobs. But what works for me right now, no promise its the best solution for you, or that I won't change my mind in the future.

As far as the logo goes, the Buckmasters logo is on one of the two turret covers, and it says it once of the occular bell where leupold puts their gold ring (I'll post pics if its a big concern). A butler creek covers the front one if you don't have a sunshade, and if you could get another plain turret cover from somewhere, you wouldn't have to try and remove the logo from yours. I didn't actually know there was a buckmasters show, therefore it has no negative connotations for me. To me its just a name of a midlevel optics line from Nikon whos preformance exceeds it price.

Thanks for the sunshade info 4ked,
Carl

zing

I have been using the Burris ballistic plex for a few years and I really like it......however, when there is 17.5" of drop between 400-500.....and 25" of drop between 500-600......well, a hold over dot just really isn't accurate enough to do what I want to do.......

I'm just beginning to appreciate the accuracy of dialing up for long distance......but I really like what I have learned so far!

If you use the gun in the off season and develop a trust in the equipment there is no substitute for knowing you can adjust the point of aim in 1/4 moa increments. No hold over can compare at the distances where the first shot is critical and a follow up shot, if needed, possibly at a new distance, absolutely can not fail. Cranking knobs will, with rehersal, extend the distance at which we personally feel confident that we can land a deadly first shot. And after all, if the animal moves then every shot is a first shot.

What the heck was that? For a split second I thought I actually typed something meaningful.

I'll try to keep that in check. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.