Advice on Re-Barreling my 22-250

Another thing you might consider is going to the 22-250AI. Not really for the increased performance, which is there, but case life is forever if you don't really push it.

I agree with orange dust 100%. So happy i when I rebarreled I went with the 22-250 AI. Case trimming has gone to almost zero and for that alone I love it. The traditional 22-250 seems to stretch a lot due to the slope and start getting breaks at the case bottom.

Also cases are easily made by fire forming.

You shouldn't have to many troubles with what you are thinking but you would need to check stabilization/twist rate charts of the projectile you want to use.
90gr is up there but stabilization isn't so much about just weight, its about the length as well.
I use a load in my 1:14 with a 70gr Speer without issue & even though it goes against all charts for a 1:14 it works due to the length!

Speer Bullets 22 Caliber (224 Diameter) 70 Grain Semi-Spitzer
Technical Information

• Caliber: 22 Caliber
  • Bullet Diameter: .224"
  • Bullet Weight: 70 Grains
  • Bullet Length: 0.808"
My usual projectile is this one, you will see the length for comparison
View attachment 150887

Also just be aware that if you do go a 1:7 if you try to use 40gr in it the projectiles could very well disintegrate as they exit the barrel due to excessive spin?

On a side note, there are a few factory offerings by some manufactures in 1:10 & 1:9 but they are few & far between.
If would be great if manufactures would offer the .22-250 in 2 different twist option like Tikka does with the .223!

I have a 22-250 Ackley with a 1:7 twist Bartlein 5R barrel. I've shot 50 grain VMax rounds at just over 4000 fps with it and they haven't come apart. I can't speak for a 40 grain but the 50 grains are super explosive when they hit.

I've also shot up to 70 grain Barnes TSX for deer and hogs and 70 grain Berger with excellent results as well.
I've not tried any heavier than that but at the velocities I'm seeing I don't think they will be an issue either.

cant see the point in fitting a factory barrel unless your straped for cash,would think it would only save a couple of hundred and you wont know if it's a good barrel till you shoot it.

cant see the point in fitting a factory barrel unless your straped for cash,would think it would only save a couple of hundred and you wont know if it's a good barrel till you shoot it.

I currently have a CZ 550 Varmint in 22-250. It is starting to get to then end of its life. I want to keep it as a 22-250, but wan tot go to the heavy's instead of 40-50 grs (currant rifle is 1:14). I was thinking of going to a Bartlin 1:7 so that I can play with the 80-90's that are out and coming out.
I did a 9 twist 28" light palma and love it. Its just a plinker, but with 62 grainers, its a drill. Used to be a mortar at 500 yards with 53 grain pills; and getting hits on a gong at 500 was like plunging fire.

I will not go with anoth factory barrel. I am leani g towarss either a Bartlin or Kreiger. Just need to settle on a twist.

My M-70 .22-250 with a Pac-Nor stainless, 1 in 8" twist is my absolute favorite rifle. The 75-grain A-Max shoots beyond belief, and kills deer and prongies like lightning.

Chambered Kreiger Lt Palma 1/8 28" in 223 for Fclass, on Rem 40x single shot. After a couple of boring matches, I had Kreiger rechambered to 22-250. Loves the 88ELD at 31-3200 all day long. Made the mistake of trying Valkrie, oops, why don't I rethink my 22-250. Had PD shoot scheduled for OK, we go every year, and were rained out this last spring. So I don't have to reload for next yr. 88's flat and explosive. Basically it shoots everything from 65-90gr...… If I want heavier go up a couple calibers :)

I did a 8 twist and should have AI'd it. If I had it to do over again I would just go 22 CM. Just cause of brass issues is all.

Shooting 75gr eld-m in one hole. Its so fun that I can shoot a round on target and put the next one through the same hole. It is s giggle gun for sure.

Thanks all. When i search 22-250 i did not find much. I am glad there ate a few out there that still like or have been playing with them. Thia is truely my facorite to shoot. I am leaning real hard on the 22 Creedmoor

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts