advice on new barrel for savage 7mm

DSMITH1651

Looking to re-barrel my savage 7mm 116 fcss what barrel should I be looking at? I want a thicker one but not much more weight. Also I haven't decided to go with a 7rm or 7 lrm so advise on that would help too. And last but not least I would like some advice on what stocks to look at for it this is a hunting gun for med to long range on deer and hopefully elk
Thanks
Duane

Put a Hart, Brux, Bartlein, or Krieger on it, #4 contour, 26" long for a magnum. McMillan stock.

you could go with any of those, but don't over look benchmark, i just had a 30" ss 7mm 8.5:1 twis in a light palma for a good price and fairly quick. you could always do a bit thicker barrel and get it fluted if you like those, it would lighten up the heavier barrel a bit what are you wanting to do with it hike with it for range and hike or not? a number 4 would be a good choice and if you are not worried about a slight increase go with a 26"

Pac Nor makes a great Savage prefit chambered in about anything you want. I have one in 7mm/300 for my long action Savage. You can order in any contour offered with all the options; fluted, muzzle break etc.

For your use I'd go with a #4, a fluted #5 or the standard Savage Varmint Contour in at least 26". I'd also go with either a 7mm Rem or 7mm/300 for sake of ease and no additional mods needing to be done to your rifle.

You can add Criterion, and Mcgowan to the above list. Both get great reviews. I love my Criterion. Check out Savageshooters.com while you are at it and you will find out almost everything you need to know for your Savage.

I agree on criterian and mcgowen, My criterian 26" varmint contour is 7RM and has over 1100 rounds through it in less than a year , i am consistent to half or close to half moa at 500 yards with 180 bergers. My mcgowen is brand new and 308, but it looks like it will do the same in no wind after a little more tuning. So far i have only shot 178 amax, getting 2635 fps at 35 degrees 1140 alt. Had no wait time for either barrel when i ordered.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.