Advice on Muzzle Brake???

BigDaddyKane

Recently purchased a 300WinMag and am looking to get a muzzle brake installed. Any advice or suggestions? Local dealer quoted me roughly $200 installed. Any particular brands or styles I should look into? I noticed the "V" style brakes on the 50bmgs and 338 lapmags. Don't know if that's necessary for the 300WM, but it's supposed to be great. Or should I just go with the swiss cheese style haha.

Thanks!

The baffle type work better than the "Swiss cheese" type. Goggle up pictures of the various brands and pick one of the baffle types.

If it's a standard sporter contour barrel I would recommend a Vais. I have one on a rem 7mm mag. Very little recoil shooting the 162 gr bullet.

For maximum recoil reduction, Go with a baffled type break. (Holland, muscle,DE,Painkiller,ETC.

For hunting and the possibility of a shot without hearing protection the Vias is not as loud and
works good.

J E CUSTOM

Not too worried about noise level. I almost always have some sort of hearing protection. The vast majority of my shooting is range anyway. So I'm looking more for effectiveness. I like the design of the Muscle Brake because there's no porting on the under side so I don't have to worry as much about debris being kicked up. Just trying to narrow it down to 3 or 4 port now.

Not too worried about noise level. I almost always have some sort of hearing protection. The vast majority of my shooting is range anyway. So I'm looking more for effectiveness. I like the design of the Muscle Brake because there's no porting on the under side so I don't have to worry as much about debris being kicked up. Just trying to narrow it down to 3 or 4 port now.

I have a three port CSR (not Muscle) on my 300RUM. Overall, the gun weighs 16lbs. Was out shooting it this weekend with 208/210grain bullets. Its recoil was lighter than a 270 shooting 130grain bullets.

So if you went with a four port brake, it would reduce recoil even more.

The other issue to deal with here is the size of the muzzle on your barrel. If it's a sporter, it might be too small for the four-port.

I had a 300 rum rifle built for me a while ago.. my 3rd 300rum rifle. never had a break put on one. I had a local smith thread my barrel and put on a vias muzzle break. you can order them from brownells. I cannot tell you how much has changed. the rifle has an HS precision stock on it. and with the break and custom loads. it kicks less than my 270wsm now. Shooting the rifle has been a blast. can do 20-30 round load data days not insead of 10 round days with the shoulder hurting the next day.its awesome. I recommend the VIAS muzzlebreak to anyone.

kasey field

If you ever plan on shooting prone on the ground you will deeply regret getting a Vias style brake, it blows dust and twigs in your face every single shot. I used to own one but only for a short while because of that. Check out these brakes http://www.shop.shoot-long.com/Triple-X-brand-1-muzzle-brakes-muzzlebrakes1in.htm
They are like the Holland style and you can't beat the price.
Three baffles really should be just fine, on my rifles the first baffle has tons of carbon, second one less and third one just slight black you can rub off with your finger, if it had four or five, just not many gases are left at that point.

Last edited:
Makes sense, I suppose the 3-Port will be ample for the 300WinMag. I agree tho, the VIAS style are not for me. I do quite a bit of hiking and open field shoots where I rely on my bipod. With that in mind I certainly want to minimize the **** blown back at me.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.