Advice on Area 53 in NM?

We drew a cow elk hunt in area 53 (Taos north to CO confluence of the Red and Rio), additionally, some of the party put in for bear tags. Anyone have any experience in this area? We are going in early Nov. Any input on the area? Any advice? This will be my (and many of the crews) first experience with elk/bear. We are all quite experienced experienced hunters, trackers, outdoorsmen, a few of us are quite competant and experienced in the long shot on game, and are all in quite good shape (not body builders or anything). We are putting together a main camp and intend to do some minimalist 2 day spike camping. Guess I'm just getting excited and looking for advice. Thanks in advance to those with experience in this area!
~z

Sorry no help here, other than I know there are elk and bear in there.
My brother in-law and a buddy will be there for the first bull hunt in a couple of weeks. Maybe I can relay something they learn.
My dad bow hunted that unit a few years ago and found elk every day, but never connected. Something about "there was a little pine branch and the arrow went over the bulls back". Not sure, wasn't there, but that's happened to him a few times!

Good luck, there's some info on monstermuleys in the NM section i believe.

Thanks coues, let me know how they do. We are currently looking at the Guadalupe Mt area as an option if the snows are in, hunt higher otherwise.
Thanks,
~z

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.