Advice on a Medium range scope

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by Dannyd, Jul 11, 2010.

1. Dannyd

Dannyd Active Member

I belong to a gun club that has a 400 yard range. Ive been doing OK with my 3-9 Nikon Prostaff. NOW, they have opened up a 600 yard range.

The game has changed

I have a 7mm Rem Mag. Finances dictate that this gun will be used for hunting and target shooting at the range

I am looking for a scope that will serve me well in a hunting situation where shots will be 1-200 yards with most under 100....and....enable me to punch paper out to 600 yards.

9x is not enough and i dont want to have to holdover on the paper.

Unfortunately, i also can not spend a lot of money. Can anyone suggest a scope that can do the job i am describing for under $300

I really enjoy shooting long range at paper. But if this can not be done within my budget then so be it

Thanks for your help

2. winmag

winmag Well-Known Member

Nikon Buckmaster 4.5x14x40 with BDC, $306.00
    I have one with a side focus and absolutely HATE the paralax (crosshairs wiggeling when I move my head) but the clarity is great. I would recomend getting the 4.5x14x40 with the A/O for fixing the paralax issues. for the price range you described its hard to beat.

If you can step up just a little bit in price, the Burris 4.5x14x42 P/A (paralax adjustable objective) with the B-PLEX. I swear on mine. I use it on my 270wsm with great results. Just dial the wind, and learn your poi vs what the stadia lines are set at. Mine is Very Very close. I would highly recomend this over the Nikon, for ruggedness, and 0 paralax issues, plus it has standard stadia lines, not those darn circles for hold points! (I hate those things).

3. cookjp

cookjp Well-Known Member

Some thing you might want to look into is a vortex rifle scope. I found one of their
    6-24x50 on sportsman guide for $134.00 and I absolutely love mine the adjustments are true and repeatable,the glass is as good as my leupold VX 2 and although it dosent have all the bells and whistles is works like its supposed to everytime. I think it is a cross fire model. Hope this helps

4. dirtboy

dirtboy Well-Known Member

I was in the same situation. My experience had been this I've owned 3 leupolds all rangeing from $250-$600. I went on 5 outstate hunts. The problem was At that last minute of shooting when the deer, and hogs came out along the wood line I couldn't see the game and defenatly couldn't see my crosshairs. Now do the math 5 hunts at avg. of $1800 a hunt= I was screw because I couldn't see. Than discovered Swaro and than even better S&B. So now I can see, now I can shoot. So you have to ask yourself whats going to be cheaper. If I had gotton a Hawke scope for $129.00 it has mildots on it. for the 3x9x40 that it is I can't tell any difference at low light when compareing it to my dads 4.5x14x50 leupold. This isn't my main rifle Somethinf I just got for plinking,but if I had to get an affordable scope I look at some of the cheapest ones till you got money for a good scope. To me at these prices there all the same. Thing to look for a afforable scope are the adj. knobs be one peice with the tube. If there the glued on type heavier recoil could knock them off when shooting.