Advice on 1st LRH build

Gene Jr.

I've been lurking here awhile and have joined and started posting recently. I've had a build idea rolling around for quiet a long time, since I saw my first 300RUM round. I have not settled on a caliber yet but it will be on the full length RUM, 300,8mmX300, EDGE? I think the Edge would best but I REALLY like the 8mm. Yes, I know bullet selection stinks but is getting better.

My thoughts so far are:
Phoenix action
PTG bolt
Jewell trigger w/ safety
27-30" sendero type taper with flutes, Hart?
brake with solid bottom, unsure of type
ADL style, no bottom metal
Wyatt extended box
HTG or Win. Marksman style stock w/ adj cheek piece, McMillan or wood, pillar bedded

My interest is in a 1000 yard capable hunting rifle to carry. I intend to hunt from stationary spotting locations but not near the road or accesable by atv. I also don't think I'll be staying in the same spot all day so something portable is important. I'd like to stay in the 12# range with scope. I have a 6.5-20x40 leupold LR that will most likely go on it.

I would like this to be my primary gun and not a dedicated LR set-up only. I'm interested in getting a quality rifle capable of better than .5moa while staying value minded.

Is it realistic to purchase parts as I'm able and then have a smith assemble it? How receptive are most good smiths to using customer supplied parts vs. placing an order with them for the whole thing? I'm probably looking at over a year until something could be completed in full but would like to buy things along the way if that makes sense to do it that way.

As for my tastes... I'm a remington guy (721,722, 788's just got my first 700!) and would like to stay with that type of action. I really like the looks and function of Shawn's DE edges, they are very close to what I have in mind and have probably influenced my choices a bit but I had most of this rolling around before I ever saw an Edge. I'm a competitive smallbore (22LR) shooter and like the feel of a classic prone stock, thus my choices listed above.

I'm sure I've left out some important info so just ask and I'll fill in the blanks. Thanks in advance!

Gene

Gene Jr,

I was where you are a couple of years ago.

I had a favorite 721 that needed to live a little longer. It was my Dad's rifle. I shot my fist PA buck with it at the age of 15, 51 years ago.

I sent it off to Kirby Allen who turned it into a 270 Allen Magnum.

Made it a single shot, cause I like the idea.
An ADL type stock cause I like the idea.
He put a #4 30" Lija Fluted barrel on it with a Defensive Edge Brake.

I remodeled the B&C stock into something a little stiffer and added an ambidextrous thumbhole.

I added a Zeiss 6.5-20 Conquest scope, my own bipond and carry system

The whole thing weighs in at 12#s.

I hunt the same as you. I hunt from several different hides distances apart.

Due to the long barrel even at 12#s its not much fun to carry with conventional systems. It's just a bit front end heavy.

I've developed a carry system that makes it almost unnoticeable to carry. I put one flush mount swivel about an inch ahead of the recoil pad on the "top" of the stock. then "T" off of the bipod.

The gun is carried M60 style, is balanced very nicely, and doesn't interfere with either a light or heavy backpack.

For a cartridge and one of the actions you mentioned, I'd recommend a 338 Edge especially if you don't want a single shot configuration.

Good luck and keep us posted......

Royinidaho,

My 270win is a similiar story to your Rem721. My grandpa has a 721 in 270 that I thought (still think) is the ideal PA deer rifle to carry and still hunt with. His brother in law, my great uncle had one also and decided to sell it. My grandpa told him I would take it sight unseen, very cheap. Turned out to be a virtual twin to my grandpa's and in mint condition. Killed my second PA buck with it and many since. The nice thing is that it's NOT grandpa's gun so I didn't mind putting on an MPI stock, cutting the barrel back behind the sweated on front sight ramp and installing a muzzlebrake. It's carried a weaver straight 6x mostly since I've had it. One of those guns that if I look at a deer and want to kill it, it just happens, no thought or effort. Mental "yes" and goes bang, dead deer.

Thus it's time for the next step up to stretch things out a bit. A couple years ago Dad and I watched a bedded buck at 800 plus in a clear cut on a opposing hill the last half hour of daylight. Since then I knew I NEEDED a rifle to reach out there. I know the 270win will get out there but I limit it to 400 for me and my current rifle.

Gene

i have made several attempts to contact phoenix machine about their actions and have not got a single response i have read some good things but from my experience their customer service is a joke.

i have made several attempts to contact phoenix machine about their actions and have not got a single response i have read some good things but from my experience their customer service is a joke.

Thanks! That is the kind of info I was hoping for. Several years ago I had made up my mind that I would use a Nesika for this build when it came time. But with the things I've heard about Nesika recently....

Still might pursue the Phoenix action but it does have me reconsidering a Borden action. Phoenix seems like a quality product at a good price and I like being able to go to PT&G for the exact bolt configuration I want.

Since I don't have a donor rifle it seems to make more sense than buying a m700 then throwing most of it away and paying to have it trued up.

Gene

Locotrician,

I don't know who you are but we respond to ALL inquiries quickly. How did you contact us?

Please call or email me,
[email protected]
(406)756-2727
Thank you,
Glen Harrison

Locotrician,
I tried our email contact link after my last post and it does not work. I'll get this fixed and I don't blame you for being disappointed.
I'm sorry for any frustration we have caused you,
Glen Harrison

Rest Assured....Phoenix Machines customer service is second to none. Glen and Lisa are good people and will work very hard to get you exactly what you are looking for. Plus, their receivers are top notch!!!

Travis Redell
R Bros Rifles

Last edited:
boltactions: i have contacted you through the contact info list on your website on more than a few occasions, and the truth is i have heard nothing back and got no answer when i called, i agree that your product looks like a quality piece and had hear good things from others, that is what got me interested in your product, i will, when contacted by you, post in this thread that i was contacted by you, but your message said something about a bad link to my email and you were gonna fix it but still havent received anything from you and i will post my e mail here as well as in the messages i sent you earlier it is [email protected]r you can send me a pm on this site as i check it at least a few times a week if not daily. i hope to hear from you. thanks

i have now been contacted by phoenix machine and have been told that their website has some issues but were very friendly and are getting back to me on the questions i had for them.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.