Advice from New Mexico residents

LongWalker

I might have an opportunity to relocate to the Albuquerque area for work. I currently live in the Nashville area and one of the main reasons to relocate would be to hopefully find some relief for my wife's allergies and sinus issues.

I do know that Albuquerque proper has risen up the serious crime ladder at break neck speed over the last five years and that bothers me. But, I can live 30-45 minutes outside of downtown ABQ without any issues.

I typically spend a couple weeks a year working there now and I love the food and weather. I personally haven't had any issues with crime but I did have a few coworkers that have had cars stolen.

I guess I'm looking for some local knowledge pros and cons for the suburbs and outlying areas which would help my decision process.

Thanks in advance for any info and advice.

I moved out of there in 2007. It was getting pretty bad, but it's not much different than other places. Just mind your own business and no one will typically mess with you. I'd think about residing in the rio rancho area as it's much newer development. Albuquerque is an interesting place no doubt. If you find a spot in the foothills, you'll be fine too. Anything above tramway isn't bad at all. More expensive. There are tons of spots you can find. I wouldn't count on allergies to be non existent there though. They have 4 seasons and spring time can have a ton of pollen out there. Temps are mild compared to phoenix etc. It can get pretty **** warm out there though. But the food is great, cost of living is decent, not really affected by stupid gun control laws and some decent hunting and fishing up north. Plus Colorado is only around 2-2.5 hours away right up the 25. Don't eat the green chile unless you plan on craving it the rest of your life.

That's great info thanks. I got bit by the green chile bug on my first trip out there in 2008. I can put it on a flip flop and eat it.

If you move to Alb you want to look at the Rio Rancho area. It has best schools, its all middle to upper class all newer construction and is the growing part of that area. Its big enough you never have to set foot in the actual Alb city limits if you don't want to. Foothills is nice but spendy. Crime is really no worse than any big city if you stay out of the crime areas in town, south valley, southeast. I grew up 30 miles south of there. Allergies can be bad any where in NM during growing and pollen seasons just depends on allergies.

I would never move back that are either, big cities just aren't for me. NM is the land of manana and ranks first in all the bad categories and last in all the good categories for a reason

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.