advice for a greenhorn, savage 110

jahollis

First i just want to say thanks for any help!! I have two savage 110, one in a 22-250 with a wood stock, the other in a 270 composite stock. Both guns are before the accu-trigger. Both bolts will interchange with each other if thats any help. But they are less than 6 years old. My goal is this, build a custom hunting rig. Plus I just like to tinker with things!! Shots will be from 100 to 900 yards. For deer, coyotes and plinking. I'm not scared to shoot a deer with a .22 cal bullet either. The 22-250 is my main deer rifle. Neck and head shots up to 200 yards. Reloading is something i'm working on now. I'm not sure which gun i will use in my project, both are the same except for the magazine(as for as i can tell). My first question is how hard is it to change the mag out? What is the max cartridge lenght i can go with these actions? (My 270 has trouble feeding with ballistic tip bullets) Is the trigger replacement a hard task? I'm thinking of chambering to a 22-243, 6.5-284, 257 stw, maybe a 270 or 7mm stw? I do want something with mild recoil as for my wife will be shooting it to!! I just had to join, it has been really educating reading these forums!!! THanks again for the help, i figured a few asked questions is better than parts laying everywhere!! What about the allen magnums?

Your only option for a longer magazine is the Savage RUM/H&H box, your 270 magazine should allow ~3.4" OAL and the RUM box will allow ~3.6"OAL. The action will need some machining for the RUM box to fit, there not hard to change otherwise. Trigger replacement is also simple. I would look at one of the 6.5s - Lapua, 260(AI?), or the Swede would top my list. Those three cartridges should also feed from your current magazine even with big bullets seated long.

I apreciate that, THe factory loaded 130 gr ballistic tips in my 270, could i solve the feeding trouble by seating the bullets deeper? Thank you for your help, I hate to ask silly questions but i want to make sure i have a good understanding before i tear into things

OAL shouldn't be a problem with factory rounds, I would say something else is wrong. Don't seat them deeper. What exactly happens when it fails to feed?

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.