advice for a gong

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ackiddblast, Dec 27, 2005.

1. ackiddblast

ackiddblast Active Member

What thickness of metal do i need to get and any add'nl info would be awesome.

thanks

kiddblast

2. Ian M

Ian M Well-Known Member

Check our SEARCH feature, you will find some nice info. Also there is a guy at www.snipershide.com selling excellent return to vertical gongs.

3. Hired Gun

Hired Gun Well-Known Member

It depends on distance and caliber. Something that would stand up to 300 Wby as close as 400 yards is 1" thick mild steel. The trouble with heavy plate is it doesn't make much of a clang. It makes a good "whack" sound. Armor plate you can get by with a lot thinner. I think it would be fun to get some heavy school or church bells to shoot at. Something you can hear better with your hearing protection on way out there. Here is a picture of the 500 yard gong we practice on. We practice how we hunt.
    [​IMG]
    This one measure 8" wide by 10" tall.

4. Ian M

Ian M Well-Known Member

Gun,
    That is a great image. Our steel targets are sometimes surrounded by Herefords... Elk look way nicer!

5. 4ked Horn

4ked Horn Writers Guild

Click search at top of page.
    Select all forums to search.
    Use keyword Gong in body and subject.
    My username.
    Date range newer than 4 years.

That should be enough to get you a good start.

6. Tim Behle

Tim Behle Well-Known Member

I go through the dumpster behind one of the local mechanics when I need a new gong. I bring home the largest brake disk that I can find, and when it's shot up, I return it to the dumpster and pull out another one.

7. keithcandler

keithcandler Well-Known Member

Well, if you are just going to be shooting at yourself, then 1" of armor plate will do. If you are on a gun club, 1" of armor plate will do, just plan on replacing it every other month due to all the armor piercing bullets on the market today!

8. 4ked Horn

4ked Horn Writers Guild

What AP bullets are on the market?