Advice for 338-300 action

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by AKFLshooter, Oct 29, 2012.

1. AKFLshooter

AKFLshooter Well-Known Member

Hello everyone! I'm getting ready to start a 338 Edge build and have settled on a Remington 700 action. For starters, my question is will the stainless ADL action be sufficient or do I need to go with the stainless SPS? I will be having it trued/blue-printed regardless, just wondering about material quality etc. I'm sure I'll have more questions the further I get into the build, but this is my starting point. Thanks in advance!

2. Derek M.

Derek M. Well-Known Member

Mine is a standard stainless 700 action. I wanted Shawn Carlock to do it but he won't touch an action already trued by someone else. So, I sent it straight to Hart barrels. It should be done next month. You'll be fine I think. PM Shawn Carlock or contact any smith who has a 338-300 reamer.

3. Swamplord

Swamplord Well-Known Member

I had my 338 Edge built off my 300 RUM LSS...

Mark Moffitt at Last Frontier Custom Guns LAST FRONTIER CUSTOM GUNS
    has the Edge reamer and I had him put it together with a 30" 9.5 Twist Obermeyer bbl in Rem Varmint contour, and Jewel trigger that I supplied, shoots the 300 Gr Nosler Accubonds like a dream, I got to hunt moose with it this fall successfully and the 30" bbl was not a hindrance

my Rem 700 action was not blueprinted but shoots fantastic, before you spend $$ on that put it together and shoot it, often times the extra work and $$ is not necessary, it can always be done later if needed, I applied the saved $ towards a Vortex PST scope

Mark machined the muzzle brake into the extra inch of barrel and recoil is about like a .30'06,
    my 12 yr old daughter shoots it with ease

He also chambered my 30" Brux 9.5 Twist bbl Rem varmint contour in 338 Norma Mag I'm building, (I own the reamer and guages )
    very close ballistically to the Edge on a shorter coal for my switch barrel project that will consist of 5 barrels all in different chamberings based on the 338 Norma Mag case