Advice for 338-300 action

AKFLshooter

Hello everyone! I'm getting ready to start a 338 Edge build and have settled on a Remington 700 action. For starters, my question is will the stainless ADL action be sufficient or do I need to go with the stainless SPS? I will be having it trued/blue-printed regardless, just wondering about material quality etc. I'm sure I'll have more questions the further I get into the build, but this is my starting point. Thanks in advance!

Hello everyone! I'm getting ready to start a 338 Edge build and have settled on a Remington 700 action. For starters, my question is will the stainless ADL action be sufficient or do I need to go with the stainless SPS? I will be having it trued/blue-printed regardless, just wondering about material quality etc. I'm sure I'll have more questions the further I get into the build, but this is my starting point. Thanks in advance!

Mine is a standard stainless 700 action. I wanted Shawn Carlock to do it but he won't touch an action already trued by someone else. So, I sent it straight to Hart barrels. It should be done next month. You'll be fine I think. PM Shawn Carlock or contact any smith who has a 338-300 reamer.

I had my 338 Edge built off my 300 RUM LSS...

Mark Moffitt at Last Frontier Custom Guns LAST FRONTIER CUSTOM GUNS
has the Edge reamer and I had him put it together with a 30" 9.5 Twist Obermeyer bbl in Rem Varmint contour, and Jewel trigger that I supplied, shoots the 300 Gr Nosler Accubonds like a dream, I got to hunt moose with it this fall successfully and the 30" bbl was not a hindrance

my Rem 700 action was not blueprinted but shoots fantastic, before you spend $$ on that put it together and shoot it, often times the extra work and $$ is not necessary, it can always be done later if needed, I applied the saved $ towards a Vortex PST scope

Mark machined the muzzle brake into the extra inch of barrel and recoil is about like a .30'06,
my 12 yr old daughter shoots it with ease

He also chambered my 30" Brux 9.5 Twist bbl Rem varmint contour in 338 Norma Mag I'm building, (I own the reamer and guages )
very close ballistically to the Edge on a shorter coal for my switch barrel project that will consist of 5 barrels all in different chamberings based on the 338 Norma Mag case

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts