Actual Hunting & Firing w/a Muzzle Brake

royinidaho

Here's what I learned today.

My son and I set up our LR hide this morning before day light with very high hopes of getting a shot. Needless to say that didn't happen.

I took off to stir the brush and possibly move something out for him to shoot at. I had gone far enough to not turn back when I noticed I forgot my Radian muffs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

For the whole trek I was hoping that I wouldn't see anything that needing shootin'. And I didn't

What I did do is get some of that "white paper" from my pouch pocket and ball it up and stick it in my ears.

I then shot one round out of the 338 RUM w/96.5gr RL-25 and 250 gr bullet with the Holland QD brake.

Bottom line, no problem.

I think I'll just go with either the tissue or those squish to fit plugs instead of those noisey/bang on the cheek piece plastic muffs.

BTW, got skunked for the day /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Roy,

Just for the sake of conversation and a little from experience, be sure to at least use the foam roll up plugs, when you touch off the A.M. It only took one time for me to learn this.

I am not sure if the 338 is as bad, but I also know that the 300 RUM that Tim has will also make you feel like your head should have exploded.

Good luck on your hunting, our fires up first weekend of Nov.

by Roy in Idaho
What I did do is get some of that "white paper" from my pouch pocket and ball it up and stick it in my ears.

I then shot one round out of the 338 RUM w/96.5gr RL-25 and 250 gr bullet with the Holland QD brake.

Bottom line, no problem.

I think I'll just go with either the tissue or those squish to fit plugs instead of those noisey/bang on the cheek piece plastic muffs.
I have used that method when hunting for some time now also cigarete filters work well if needed.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Being somewhat absent minded I fired the 240Wby with a brake and my muffs off while under a shooting range roof. I don't forget anymore. What I am doing, is while moving around hunting, I have a package of the cheap squeeze plugs. When set up on a shooting point I have the heavier ear muffs. What I am going to do for future hunting trips is get the ear plugs on a string so I have them hanging around my neck. Opening day deer season went bad for me as did second day. No bucks first day and then second day each of the two I saw, got into the trees before I could get everything done. It takes a lot of time to move from the spotting scope and then range a deer, check the wind, check your drop chart, set the elevation and wind dials, focus the paralax, steady up the gun and finally get the deer to stand still. My deer seem to like to stand still only when their rump is turned toward me.

I use a set if the foam-like plugs that are attached to a thin metal headband. I just hang them around my neck until needed.

I will admit, however, that in all the excitement of getting a shot off, they can occasionally still be found hanging around my neck as my ears ring from the blast. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

bb, same muzzle blast experience as you. That's why I was concerned about the whole ear splitting thing.

Roger that on setup time. If you want a spotter let me know. It really helps. That's why my son and I hunt together. Elk move a bit faster than deer due somewhat to their length of stride thus offer less time for the shot in thicker cover.

I'll not get my elk tag for a week or so, so I am flexible.

[ QUOTE ]
My deer seem to like to stand still only when their rump is turned toward me.

[/ QUOTE ]

So ? , shoot them in the rump !( kinda in the center ) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I'm thinking t hat you need to have several haunts alredy doped out and then when they show you are good to go with info previously obtained ..........or , I could be there , /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Roy , get on up there and do your good neighbor job , Jim C. needs you , sides that aint it too cold to be fooling aroung with irrigation equipment anyways ?

Opportunities come when they come , sometimes long waits between ,

Jim B.

I shot my 300 ultra with a holland ONCE, and I would never do it again. I pulled the trigger, boom, it was so loud I got dizzy and light-headed. Not to even mention the ringing that lasted for days.

have you guys used the walkers game ear plug things?
They magnify all noise except for loud noises, then it shuts those out.
I also have a 300RUM, holland braked, and wow is it loud!

I've used muffs, electronic muffs, foam plugs, rubber plugs on a string and rubber plugs on a metal band.

Those plugs on a flexible band are the easiest to get on quickly. They also don't bump the stock or make ruffling noises to confuse my ears.

[ QUOTE ]
I shot my 300 ultra with a holland ONCE, and I would never do it again. I pulled the trigger, boom, it was so loud I got dizzy and light-headed. Not to even mention the ringing that lasted for days.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I shot my buds 300, other than the days long ringing, yes, exactly. I felt just like I should have had a nose bleed from the resulting pressure. Definately a one time memory etching process.

I haven't done the .270 AM yet and hopefully won't be forced to. Just haven't seen anything that is really worth shooting at that badly, to repeat the experience.

Roy,

Hope the hunting is going well!!!

Regarding the ear protection, you might want to look at a pair of the North Sonic II ear valves (used to be called Lee Sonic). These are about the same size as the foam ear plugs but you can hear about 90% of normal when wearing them. They have a small spring loaded diaphram inside them and the pressure wave closes that diaphram when you fire. One pair will last you for years of hunting - they come in a small blue case that is easy to carry.

Craig is SE Idaho

Huntin sux so far.

Thanks for the reminder on the Lee's. I had/have some someplace. All I can find is the small blue plastic case /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.