Action to use on new .270wby cal Custom Build

Building a hunting rifle and need to decide on an action. Not worried about money....just want the best. Thoughts or advice???

I built 270wby myself a few years ago. Kind of similar situation, I used my passed father's Savage action I bought for him just prior to losing him. The Savage action gave me the ability to do all the work myself. That really add to the special meaning of rifle. Sorry about cell phone photo quality. But it gives ya a idea of what you can accomplish. It's not the fanciest or most expensive but like I mentioned it has a special meaning to me. Oh, and the rifle is smokin' accurate.
2012-06-22_11-09-25_450.jpg

270WBY
Savage long action
Custom Bolt Handle
26" Douglas barrel plus Harrow(sp?) brake, heavy recoil lug from (Jim @ northland shooters supply) He's a great guy for advice on building Savages!!!!
Baked on Dura coat in Coyote Tan/brown
B&C Stock epoxy bedded action and lug
Vortex Viper 6.5x20x50
EGW 20 MOA w/Weaver mounts
Midway cheek rest

Ah, you want a .270 Ackley Magnum. That would be a whitetail hammer with those big 165 Matrix bullets. Anytime you improve one of the Weatherby cases with a 40* shoulder you get a great caliber. My .300 Ackley Mag is basically an improved .300 Wby with blown-out walls and a 40* shoulder.

Yeah basicly but I was thinking about maybe also moving the shoulder forward .050" which would shorten the neck to the same as a rem neck but would gain some case capacity. If I remember right it was 3-4 gr gain. Just enough to get 3150 fps with RL33/Retumbo in a 26" barrel with the 165s in theory/quick load.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts