Action to use for custom rifle

James,

That was not directed towards you. Someone else made the remark.

another little detail I forgot to mention.

All Nesika/Borden/Noveski, and the handful of other spin offs that they have done over the years are all built using aerospace certified materials. The bolts, as you pointed out, are made using prehardened material. It is actually easier to machine chromoly when you take it up to about 35HRC. Surface finishes become much nicer as the material supports itself and does not "tear" when the tool runs through it. These are my personal ghetto machine shop terms, don't go axing me for abusing the vernacular. . .

Cyle was actually my boss the last year or so that I was there. He's still there I believe. Have not talked to anyone from there since coming back to the desert.

Can't wait to go home again in April!

Bought a pair of Wilwood six piston calipers and floated/grooved/cross drilled rotors for my GTO!

Next is the APS twin turbo set up. Just waiting for them to hit the states.

27mpg
premium pump gas
600 HP!

Long live GM and death to imports!

Nesikaclad

Gustavo won't show me any pictures of Argentina /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif but I would like to see your GTO. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I can certify the sexy feeling when closing a Nesika bolt.- got a question for you though (sorry,a bit off post but cant send a pm and dint see an email address). what´s your recommendation regarding bolt lubrication to avoid the lugs galling or say loosing their edge a bit when closing the bolt? This has happened to mine, the edge of the lugs closing into the action has kind of "chamfered"...

My Timberline showed up today,so heres the pics I said Id post.Dont have the greatest camera,but you might be able to make out the lucky #7 serial number on the Timberline. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
MVC-006S.JPG
MVC-005S.JPG
MVC-007S.JPG

The Alpines fate is 6mmAI and the Timberlines is undecided,either 7 WSM or 300 WSM.

Now THAT is sexy ¡¡ nice actions, B64.And nice cartridges you are thinking of.
How do they feel??

alg, the actions feel great,very smooth and solid tight lockup closing the bolt.The bolt is tight enough in the raceway that he didnt need to use an anti-bind rail,such as Rem uses, for the bolt to pass by the loading port.You can see the anti-bind rail slot in the sendero bolt on the left and the omission of it on the Alpines bolt.
Im still deciding how to stock the 6mmAI,then the Alpine is headed to Ft. Shaw. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
MVC-008S.JPG

There is this sticky stuff called "Pro Gold" that I use a lot. It is a synthetic grease with copper. Kind of like anti seize, but it's far less messy!

Galling can and is an annoyance on these things unfortunately.

I would never bring a Nesika over here to the desert. not a SS one anyway.

Here is the TIP OF THE DAY regarding Nesika.

This is a bit of a bitch to explain, but I'll try. Hold the action/rifle in your hand and cycle the bolt. When the bolt is being closed there should be NO detectable increase in resistance to closing. It should be a smooth and linear action. IF at any time you feel something that remotely resembles a "detent" or if something is "overcoming" a resistance, STOP.

You need to send the action back to Nesika and tell them that the timing is off. RANDY G. is the guy to fix it. (if he still works there)

This is what is happening. As I stated in previous notes, the timing is different on the firing control for Nesikas. What is happening is that the lugs of the bolt are climbing the ramps just a like a Remington. The leading edges of the bolt are hitting just below the lug flats on the action. This little "bump" feeling is the proof.

Over time, and not very long I might add, the leading edge of the bolt will begin to develop a lump. A shiny spot on the lug surface of the bolt will appear. The material is being pushed around and when it gets to certain point, disaster will follow. The burr will roll into itself and tear the snot out of the bolt lugs AND the action (sometimes)

There is only one way to fix this when that happens. You take a skim off the bolt and the action. It will still work fine, but now your bolt handle is sitting farther back in the reciever cut out, now the gas check right in front of the shroud where the primary extraction is has become more exposed, you ruputure a case and you do not have the same level of protection as you did before.

If a Nesika "ticks" on closing, something is wrong and you should send it back to be fixed.

Here is why you should avoid doing it yourself:

The firing pins are screwed into the cocking piece and located by TWO 6-32 set screws (stacked on top of one another) When the timing is set, a small spot drill is used to index the firing pin for the set screw to bear into.

If your action "ticks" on closing you have to screw the firing pin out of the cocking piece a little. You have to make the cocking piece contact the sear LATER in terms of degrees of rotation on the bolt handle. the bolt lugs must be bearing on the receiver flats prior to the cocking piece purchasing the sear. If you just rotate and retighten, the set screws are now bearing on the threads of the firing pin. You'll run the risk of destroying the firing pin and the cocking piece if you try to take it apart because the threads are hammered to poop and will chew themselves to bits.

Nesika will replace the parts if you send it in and let them fix it. No worries.

Hope this helps someone.

Chad

Thanks Chad,. will check the bolt later at home. Hopefully it will be ok ´casue it´s going to be nearly imposible to unscrew the barel and send the action from Spain to Sturgis Sd without this costing more than a new action ¡¡

do you have an email address so i can comment off topic ? or email me at [email protected]
Thanks.

Just an update that recently Jim announced hed be offering a bolt handle option in the very near future on the Alpines and Timberlines for those that have an aversion to Big Greens handle. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

facts about Rimrock, Timberline and Alpine Actions

NesikaChad

I just want to take a moment to clear up some misinformation that you have been posting. Nesika has had nothing to do with the development or manufacture of My Rimrock, Alpine or Timberline Actions. None of the parts and none of the work or design for those actions has been done at Nesika. The actions are made inhouse here in PA. The EDM work for the raceways is currently subcontracted to three different shops and none of those shops are Nesika.

Furthermore, Nesika nor Dakota had no authorization to make any actions with my name on them from early 2003 forward. Also, many of the actions had firing pins, shrouds and cocking pieces made in our shop here in PA for a variety of reasons. In order for you to have a full understanding of the facts in the history of this-you may want to talk with me.

I would also like to point out that the "tick" or click can not be taken out by screwing the firing pin out of the cocking piece farther--all that will do is shotrten the firing pin fall. You are correct that the cocking piece must contact the trigger sear bar earlier--that is done by 1. new cocking piece with ledge farther forward 2. moving trigger back if it is in a frame 3. moving the notch in the back of the bolt forward.

By the way there is no patent pending on the bumps--the patent was issued to me (Jim Borden)April 3, 2001 and no one has a valid license or agreement to use the bumps including Nesika Bay Precision.

You are incorrect in stating that there are no actions other than Nesika that have the bumps built into them--my Rimrock actions do!

Thank you

Jim Borden

Re: facts about Rimrock, Timberline and Alpine Actions

Jim

Just out of curiousity I would ask, is there litigation over the bumps.

The Nesika website says
[ QUOTE ]
Like all Nesika actions, our round actions feature the "Borden Bumps." Designed to yield less than .001 inch clearance when in the locked position

[/ QUOTE ]

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.