Action screws keep loosening up on rem sendero

champberetta

I have a rem sendero in 264 win and ever since i removed the action from the stock to install a jewell trigger the screws will loosen up after a few shots. Ive tightented them as tite as u would think they should be but they keep backing out and then the action is rattling around in the stock. I guess my question is do I need to lock tite them in and if so with blue or red lock tite? I own 3 700 rem and have never had this problem the screws look fine no bad threads so im a little confused because until I took it apart it never came loose once. Let me here what you think and if any one has ever had this problem and what you did to correct it . Thank you

DON'T put red loctite on action screws. It is a permanent bonding material that will be just about impossible to allow them to be unscrewed. Use the semi-permanent blue on them and that will probably take care of the problem and still allow you to take them out when needed.

I would strongly suggest you have your rifle bedded. I feel you have a loose fit and is moving around in the stock. Any rifle I have fixed like this with a bedding job on the action has also show a good deal of improvement in accuracy afterwords. I never loctite action screws they should not come loose unless something is moving or mis-fitted.

JMO

Jeff

+1 on what Broz said. I also ran across a product that allows aluminum bedding blocks to be pillar bedded. I bought a kit from erniethegunsmith.com and it turned my B&C into a tack driver. Go to his site and click on "Gunsmithing Odds & Ends". Then view video #6 to see how it's done. It's a do it yourselfer. His pillar kit is about $12 for your HS Precision stock.

Randy

Question for the previous two posts---Why would he need to do that if the rifle has been shooting fine and he never had that problem until he disassembled it to put in the aftermarket trigger? I've never had to bed a rifle because all of mine shoot under 1 MOA and I've never had to loctite action screws, but it seems like that would be the first thing to do before bedding and why I suggested it to answer his question. Just asking---Thanks!!!

If it started happening after disassembly, something has changed. Was there a shim under one of the action bolts that got lost? Not normal for a Sendero, but I've seen them on other models.

Is the magazine box getting pinched and then possibly settling into place after a few shots? This might cause tight action bolts that loosen after it pops into place. You should have a tiny amount of play in the mag box after assembly.

Both longshots, but there's no normal reason for bolts to start coming loose. The Jewell is pretty straight forward and if the safety moves freely and the trigger works properly I don't think it would cause this issue.

Don I think you hit it on the head with the magazine box took it apart and looked at it and the mag box was in somewhat crooked so I straightened it up and reassembeld tightened the screws to 60 inch lbs and went out and shot it again and screws stayed torqured. I bought the scope from you and the gun was shooting great except the x mark pro trigger would not adjust below 5lbs, so that is why I bought the jewell trigger. Now maybe I just need the Greybull stock and have it bedded and be done.

Sounds like you haveyour problem solved but I wanted to throw out an issue I ran into that may save someoneelse some issues. My problem would not have been an issue with your HS stock.

I have a 300WM on a Howa action that has always been a tack driver. I had pillar bedded it several years ago. Last summer, I noticed the action screws seemed to be loosening up (not holding torque) and the groups started opening up. I kept re-torquing thinking maybe the screws were coming loose. Finally I realized that the bedding was collapsing and cracking in the pillars! Not sure what the root cause yet but it was not the screws lossening! Going with aluminum pillars next time.

I have been meaning to throw this out to potentially help someone out.

Don I think you hit it on the head with the magazine box took it apart and looked at it and the mag box was in somewhat crooked so I straightened it up and reassembeld tightened the screws to 60 inch lbs and went out and shot it again and screws stayed torqured. I bought the scope from you and the gun was shooting great except the x mark pro trigger would not adjust below 5lbs, so that is why I bought the jewell trigger. Now maybe I just need the Greybull stock and have it bedded and be done.

Don't feel too bad, that is VERY easy to do on the 700's. I've done it myself .......Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.