Action Screw Tightness

Discussion in 'Equipment Discussions' started by Homer, Jun 30, 2005.

1. Homer

Homer Member

Just curious if any of you check the tightness of your action screws - that is do you check them with and in/lb torque wrench and set them the same each time. If so what are your settings? Thanks

2. chris matthews

chris matthews Well-Known Member

65 inch pounds if it is pillared bedded using a Seekonk torque wrench

3. Freebore

Freebore Well-Known Member

What is the torque for a rifle that is just bedded no pillars? What about the diffrence between wood and fiber stocks(bedded only. Rear tang vs. front?
    I know these are all variables as some rifle shoot better than other at different torquings. But what are the 'norms'

4. Ian M

Ian M Well-Known Member

I'm with Chris on this one, only I would also like to own a 45 inch-pound Seekonk for wood-stocked rifles. Tried that and the rifle shot really well, also an un-pillared full-action bedded composite shot better at 45 than at 65 for me. Got to save some more pennies and get a 45 for my kit. Most of my rifles shoot great at 65 and I put that on with a Seekonk I bought from Badger Ordnance.

5. chris matthews

I'll add to Ian's by saying for a wood stock that's not bedded 30-35 seems to work well also.

6. alremkin

alremkin Well-Known Member

Where does one find one of these torque wrenches and how much do they cost?

7. chris matthews

Brownells, Midway, Sinclair, Badger Ordnance- any of the big shooting supply places have 'em.

8. littletoes

littletoes Well-Known Member

The big tool manufactures make some good ones also. Just be careful not to try and get too big of a sizing differance. The "error" is greater with larger range spreading.
    I've also learned that manufactures reccomend 35 inch pounds for wood stocks. Remington and Winchester factory stocks are 60 inch pounds, Weatherby is 65 inch pounds. I would imagine a short e-mail to Kelly McMillan would get the torq for his stocks.