Action Screw Tightness

Homer

Just curious if any of you check the tightness of your action screws - that is do you check them with and in/lb torque wrench and set them the same each time. If so what are your settings? Thanks

What is the torque for a rifle that is just bedded no pillars? What about the diffrence between wood and fiber stocks(bedded only. Rear tang vs. front?
I know these are all variables as some rifle shoot better than other at different torquings. But what are the 'norms'

I'm with Chris on this one, only I would also like to own a 45 inch-pound Seekonk for wood-stocked rifles. Tried that and the rifle shot really well, also an un-pillared full-action bedded composite shot better at 45 than at 65 for me. Got to save some more pennies and get a 45 for my kit. Most of my rifles shoot great at 65 and I put that on with a Seekonk I bought from Badger Ordnance.

The big tool manufactures make some good ones also. Just be careful not to try and get too big of a sizing differance. The "error" is greater with larger range spreading.
I've also learned that manufactures reccomend 35 inch pounds for wood stocks. Remington and Winchester factory stocks are 60 inch pounds, Weatherby is 65 inch pounds. I would imagine a short e-mail to Kelly McMillan would get the torq for his stocks.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.