action question for .284 jazz,300 norma

Stickerflicker1

Im getting ready to have a 7stw barrel build by kreiger but started see some 300 normas and .284 jazz. Will these work with a rem 700 long action? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
The 700 will work, but it's definitely not ideal. Personally, I would rather have an action that was built for the .338 Lapua than use a weaker action when dealing with anything built off of the 300 or 338 Norma. The stronger actions ensure the stiffer barreled action, which greatly aids in accuracy. This is extremely important if you use a heavier barrel, longer barrel, and/or suppressor. The top of my list is the Surgeon XL (if you can find one that is) and Kirby's Raptor. Good luck.

I agree, get a heavier action. I went with a badger 2013 built for the my norma build. The norma case is technically a super magnum case. It has a lot of power and pressures, why risk having a rupured reciever.

Xdeano

I used the 700 action to build my 284 THOR (284 JAZZ). I used a Lapua sized bolt face from PT&G.
Works just fine with the setup I have. Very accurate.
Yes there are stronger actions. The 700 Remington is just fine for this round.

Most good smiths will tell you that the bolt thrust from a .588 rim diameter case is to much for a standard Remington, Winchester, Ruger, Savage, etc., action. I to wanted to build an ELR gun off the Norma case and could not find a smith that thought it was a good idea to do on a standard action. So, I am building a 300 RUM with plans to rebarrel to an 338 Edge once the RUM barrel is shot out. I am building on a large shank stainless Savage action, as I have one sitting in the safe, and I can put everything together myself.

Most good smiths will tell you that the bolt thrust from a .588 rim diameter case is to much for a standard Remington, Winchester, Ruger, Savage, etc., action. I to wanted to build an ELR gun off the Norma case and could not find a smith that thought it was a good idea to do on a standard action. So, I am building a 300 RUM with plans to rebarrel to an 338 Edge once the RUM barrel is shot out. I am building on a large shank stainless Savage action, as I have one sitting in the safe, and I can put everything together myself.

Yep would have to agree with that except Remington make the 338 Lapua in factory rifles, on the 700, so they don't have a problem with it, so do Savage & Weatherby.

I don't know about Remington or Weatherby, but Savage uses a different receiver than the rest of there line for the Lapuas. It is closed top with ejection port and also has larger lugs.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.