Action for a sheep rifle

Coues100

Could I get some recommendations for a good light custom action to build a sheep rifle on. I want to build something on the WSM cases. Thanks Mark

Depending on your needs for stock, etc., have you considered a Kimber Montana? Basically, a custom action and rifle totally built around the WSM case. You'll probably spend more building your own rifle than just orderering a Kimber!! Just a thought.

I would start from the ground up with a Remington 700 Titianium action open up the bolt face and install a Sako extractor then chamber it for a 6.5mm WSM using 270 WSM brass from Norma. I would also push the shoulder back just a bit to increase neck length it would kind of look like a SAUM case from Remington. For sheep I would load this with a 6.5mm 130gr Scirocco from Swift it has B.C. of .571. You could get 3100+ very easily with it. But that's just what I would do if I was building my ultimate sheep light rifle. p.s. I would also use the ultra light stock from McMillian it wieghs less than 1and1/2 pounds. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

You may want to check out Borden Rifles. They make an entire line of rifles for sheep hunting. That may give you some ideas at least.

I started with a Titanium Rem action, but would probably never do it again. Titanium is strong but not rigid! The action flexes when shot and makes building up a load a nightmare. Especially if you plan on a lightweight barrel. Then both barrel and action are moving. I'd use one of the Brownell SA Remington actions and take out weight rather than use Titanium. Brown Precision will not work on a titanium action anymore since they have had problems getting the rifle to shoot!! You can find lots of custom gun builders out there, but still not the bargain of the Montane Kimber for the dollars.

What are you building a short light rifle ???.
If so go with a short action , Stainless 22" barrel.
If you use a composit stock ,I just decrlbed a factory Rifle.

I'd use the Rem 700 and have a smith lighten up to the action to your liking.. I'd highly reccomend Rich Reilly of High Tech Customs. He built my 7lb (with scope) .340Wby and its a tack driver. give him a call and he can help you out. Good luck.

www.htcustoms.com

Depending on your budget, I would look at the Nesika Bay receivers. They can be had in sizes nearly identical to the Rem 700 externally but offer dramatic increases in strength and lock up tightness. They are spendy but worth it in my opinion.

I would agree that a conventional chrome moly or SS Rem 700 is a better option then the Ti receivers. For the few ounces you save in receiver weight you give up other things that make a big difference in accuracy results.

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.