Action and stock for a 7PRC build.

Nuclear Worker

Trying to put together parts for a mountain rifle for Elk hunting. Going with a Bartlein cf barrel 20" in 1-8 twist. Don't plan on shooting more than 600 yards with factory ammunition to start. Hopefully way less. Want a integral rail on action. Stock must have adjustable cheek piece. Now this is a hunting rifle not a target rifle. I have a6.5x284 with Gunwerks action . My wife's 6BR has a Big Horn action. Like them both just wondering what other people are using and why?

Go bat and don't look back. I've ran most of the top actions out there and they're amazing. My current top 2 are a bat vampire and a kratos lite. Both are great. Vampire is smoothest I've ever operated. 4" cut so options are greater for future builds..only limitations are chassis. But trad stocks are no issue.

I just had a very similar build put together. I went with the Defiance ANTi-X and I'm very happy with it. However, if I did it again I'd probably go with the Bat Vesper or the Bat Vampire mainly for the option of the modular bolt head.

As for stock, I actually wanted to try a chassis and got an XLR Element 4.0 MG with a folder with the goal to shorten the overall package for backpack hunts and have a modular system for other shooting situations. It has taken a bit to get used to but very comfortable to shoot. My only issue (that I've noticed so far) is that the buttstock has a very noticeable vibration in it after firing that lasts a few seconds.

If I decide to go back to a traditional stock I'll probably do either the Manners EH1A or their LRH. I've had the opportunity to get behind a couple and have a very nice feel/fit (at least for me anyways).

Additional details on my build if interested:
Thread 'My Western Rifle Build'
https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/my-western-rifle-build.329939/

If you are looking to have the rifle built for this season it may come down to what you can get.

If weight is going to be one of your deciding factors, I would look at the Defiance anTi-X or their GA Hunter.

The anTi-X comes in at 23.4 ounces with an integral scope rail.

The Deviant GA Hunter comes in at 28-30 ounces with an integral scope rail.

Chassis or stock you have plenty of options. We have built several rifles with the Manners Long Range Hunter stock, and they are great. You can order them with the built-in mini chassis so you can drop the barrel action right in or without the mini chassis and have it bedded.

I was extremely impressed with the MDT HNT 26. I had a client come out last season with a 6.5 PRC in an HNT 26 chassis, and I was very impressed with it, so I built one for myself. I also built a 300 PRC and 2, 7 PRC this year, with two of them having folding stocks. The only down-side if any is the HNT 26 LA uses CIP 5 round mags so the magazine extends below the chassis.

I would also take a look at AG Composites for other stock options, and the XLR Element. I have seen all of them at NRL Hunter matches this year and they all worked well and very repeatable.

The MDT HNT 26 mentioned by Blue Ridge Sean above is an excellent choice for a lightweight but sturdy hunting stock. It's certainly not inexpensive, but it is good.

Action? So many good ones available anymore. I have been very impressed with BAT, and did use a very nice custom 7 PRC on a Bergara action. That one had a Boyd's stock on it, very nice, accurate. Had 22" barrel. Was able to get 2900 fps with a 175 gr Hornady ELD-X.

Regards, Guy

If you want an adjustable stock, take a look at AG Composite, the adjustable stocks are running about 14-20 weeks from time of order. I have two that are being delivered today, AG Adjustable Armor, weight is 42oz.

Nanook and Manners LRh or PH, the last thing I need is the stock and can't make my mind up between those two

More decisions 🤔 do I make both of our guns mine and my wife's both 7PRC load hers lighter for recoil? Both go with 280AI not just hers? Or the original plan of mine 7PRC and hers 280ai? Now as I have said both mountain guns for Elk max 600 yards. Be nice to only have to reload or buy for one caliber. Could also share ammunition in a pinch 🤔

More decisions 🤔 do I make both of our guns mine and my wife's both 7PRC load hers lighter for recoil? Both go with 280AI not just hers? Or the original plan of mine 7PRC and hers 280ai? Now as I have said both mountain guns for Elk max 600 yards. Be nice to only have to reload or buy for one caliber. Could also share ammunition in a pinch 🤔
As an owner of a 7prc and 7saum. I'll be sticking with Saum in the future. It's just been much more consistent of a cartridge for me so far..