Acraglas gel on an aluminum block?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ankeny, May 27, 2006.

1. Ankeny

Ankeny Well-Known Member

I have a ton of Acraglas Gel on hand because I use it to do grip reductions on Glock pistols. I have used it to pillar bed a couple of rifles and it seems to work fine. I don't hear much about the product anymore, presumably because Marine Tex has some advantages. I am wondering, would the Acraglas work to skim bed a Weatherby Accumark or should I cool my jets and order up some Marine Tex?

2. James Jones

James Jones Well-Known Member

I use it all the time as its easier for me to get hold of than Marine Tex and I feel it works better as a glue than some other bedding material.
    BUT , I will say that when I use it to glass an action , skimm or otherwise I add atomized metal either Stainles or aluminum to it , this makes it much thicker and easier to work with and harder and less prone to any growth or shrinkage.
    But I would say that it should work fine as a skim bed used alone , I just prefer some extra stuff in their

3. Fiftydriver

Fiftydriver <strong>Official LRH Sponsor</strong>

I would agree with JDJ on this one. You may want to remove any finish paint that may be in the receiver area and also rough up the exposed aluminum a bit with a course sanding drop on a dremal tool but it generally works well.

Kirby Allen(50)