ACI?

I'd say no, it really doesn't matter how you get the angle, as long as you get it. You will have your range finder out anytime the distance is long enough to need the angle anyway.

Just my opinion,
AJ

Michael, I almost posted the same thing. However, judging using a reticle (especially out away from suburbia) is not something that is super simple. It requires a bunch of practice to get good enough to use for high percentage one shot hits on animals. If I was out and needed to make a shot on an animal at long range (600yds +) without my range finder, I'd make a guess and take a shot on the hillside to verify my range. I'd then mark my shot with my reticle and use my first impact and aimpoint to determine the correction needed. In this case, the angle has no use, except for the first shot.

AJ

It seems like the masses have a hard time using scopes to range critters. I personally have not had much trouble getting within 25 yards out to 750 on sheep. No I have never shot one by way of reticle ranging, but just practicing and verifying with a laser. IMHO, it is much better than just guessing. Maybe it is a gift, I just havent had any trouble with it. Still, the more things you can lean on in times of equipment failure, the better. Mechanics ussually work when electronics fail.

Michael, by make a guess, I meant I'd range with my reticle. I've ranged deer and elk with my reticle and I haven't had that much success. Maybe the deer and elk I've ranged vary too much in size?

AJ

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.