Accurizing the Factory Rifle

The Tubbs fire lapping is for throats and bores that are fire cracked and rough. I wouldn't do it unless I had my bore scoped first. If you think your throat is worn, it might help a little. It will actually wear and lengthen your throat. If you have a really rough bore, It migh help a little.

IMO, tuning your trigger, a new stock, handloading and possibly a recrown will do a lot more to accurize your rifle.

And of course make sure all your action screws and scope mounts are properly torqued.

Mark

Don't worry about truing your action or blueprinting until you are ready for a new barrel.

I would approach it in this order.

1. Adjust Trigger
2. Free float barrel
3. Pillar bed and glass bed stock (I put my Borden 6.5X47 Lapua into a Remington BDL stock that is aluminum pillar bedded and glass bedded and reinforced forend with carbon fiber rods and it shoots .25" at 100) but if you can afford the B&C I would do that.)

If you are only looking for 1MOA at 500 (5") then you should get that at this point with your set up.

After you do these see how good it shoots, if still not satisfied.

4. Handload

If still not satisfied.

5. Recrown

If still not satisfied.

6. Rebarrel - at this point true up the action, I have not really found a big advantage in accuracy with bluprinting, but you can do that too if you wish, your choice.

-Erik

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.