accurizing Browning A-Bolt 300. WSM for long range

matt_3479

I would like to do everything i can to make my rifle shoot accurately out too 500-600 yards. Most people on here dont custom, or put a lot of work into there Browning A-Bolts and i dont know why. So for it seems like i can get mine to shoot Moa out to 300 yards which isn't bad for a factory rifle with factory ammo. Im trying to work up a load with the 180 Grain nosler Accubonds but would like to get the rifle to keep moa out to 5-600 yards. What should i have done to it? why dont most people work with there browning a-bolts?

I would like a gun where that i can successfully take moose out to the ranges mentioned above. I have had opportunities to take game out to 1200 yards which is what my range finder maxed out at, but i am not even close to feeling comfortable with shooting that far. This season i had a moose at 550 yards and last year had a bear at around 400 yards. So it seems to me a lot of times i can get an opportunity to shoot 400, 500, 600 yards so would like to get a rifle that can promise me accuracy if i do my part. Once i get the rifle set up, i have multiple ranges where a 600 yard shot is easy to find. So with lots, i mean LOTS of practice and a rifle that will do its part, i would like to be ready for next season.

Hear is a short list of things to check on your rifle to make sure its good to go for shooting. This list applys to factory or custom. You will need an inch pound torq wrench.

check your action screws if your rifle is bedded or sits in a stock with an aluminum chassey torq to 60in pounds. If your stock is wood or plastic dont go past 30in pounds.

Next you should check your base screws, I take mine to 30in pounds and use blue locktight.

Also make sure your scope in not canted to one side or the other. You can use a torpedo level. First level the rifle accrosed the scope base then level the scope. I dont know what your scope is, but try to find a flat spot. The top of a turret works well but take the cap off.

Next torq the ring bases to 30in pounds and the ring screws to 15in pounds or what ever the manufactuer suggest.

This is just a check list I do to all my rifle at the beging and middle of the year and I'm sure some one will find fault with is but its just to try and help you out a bit.

Also make sure your testing loads at a minimum of 200 yards from you

If you don't have an aluminum bedded stock, go ahead and get the stock bedded with devcon or a marine base epoxy. This will tighten the action up to the stock and make it fit like a glove. Make sure the trigger is set to 1.5 to 3 lbs. This will help to make it a more accurate rifle eliminating the desire to yank on the trigger. Check to see that the barrel is free floating. That means that you can run 3 to 6 pieces of paper thickness down the length of the barrel to the action (word of caution, make sure that this rifle isn't designed to have a spot where the barrel contacts for accuracy. Check with a gunsmith).

Tank

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts