accurate range for a 17hmr

outdooraddict

I am wondering what a good guage for accuracy (for me) is when shooting my hmr. I was at the range yesterday after I put the new scope on and worked my way out to 200yds where I was putting 3 shot groups in about 2". Should I get better than that or is that ok for that round oh the rifle is a savage 93 with a heavy barrel and I put a cheap bushnell 3x9 scope on her. I thought it wasnt bad for the first time out.

That is excellent shooting Just watch the wind way out there have seen the 17 hmr kill whitetail at 100 yds just be real careful with it.Also It is almost sacreligious to try and kill anything over a coyote with this round just not enough power

I dont plan on shooting much over chucks maybe yotes real close but more for just practicing as the 300rum is hard on the shoulder and expensive. That little 17 is a blast to shoot. My brother and I were playing pig with clay pigeons that we set out at various distances on his farm.

I got rid of my savage after a aftermarket sear went bad and the firing pin kept falling of or something to that extent (pre accutriggerdays)I would like the 93 fv in 17 but when I went to look at them I bought a 12fv in .223 maybe next time my son is 7 so It's about time to get him one:D.Just watch the wind if you get out over 100 yds on a windy day that little bullet sails all over what ammo do you shoot?What's the gun?

I'd say that's pretty good shooting w/a 17hmr .

I have killed pd's out to 250yds -some drt some waller around and die shortly thereafter.

A higher power scope would do you well -i use a 4.5x14 as a minimum .

"Accuracy" is a relative thing. What size target you hope to hit and how well you can shoot are perhaps the greatest limiting factors. Trajectory and wind limitatons with that little round put shots past maybe 125 yards problematic, IMHO.

Even my 17Mach2 can shoot squirrels past 125 yards. The Mach 2 is 200-300 FPS (depends on ammo) slower than the HMR. I have shot ground squirrels out to 144 that seems to be the max for this cartridge. Shot on paper out to 140. The group seems to open up, after that point with the Mach2.Trajectory is definetly not a problem, at 150 yards my bullet drop is still above the thick part of my duplex reticle on 14x.

I remember shooting pop bottles with dads HMR at 200 yards. They are just tack drivers. The cool thing is even if its windy, you can see your misses through the scope then correct with a follow up shot.

Ol' Mikes right about magnification. I have a 4.5-14x on my Mach2, I wished I had more power. I can see great for hunting, but when I do target work I would like more power. Dads HMR has a 3-12x, it works for him because he dosn't "go long" because of his poor eyesight.

The most benificial thing I did was lighten the factory trigger. Ruger triggers are HORRIBLE, It is now stoned down to 1.25 pounds.

Last edited:
The 17 HMR is very capable of 1/2 MOA groups, Most of the
factory rifles will shoot 1 MOA or better and the custom ones
are capable of 1/2 MOA or better.

Considering wind with this little bullet 2" groups @ 200 yrds is
very good.

CCI is making a 20gr fmj that will buck the wind better for longer
shots.

The best 5 shot group so far with the little 17 was .215 @ 100rds
with a custom built on a #5 Lilja barrel.

And it sure is fun
J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.