Accuracy question

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by tommyc279, Dec 18, 2011.

1. tommyc279

tommyc279 Well-Known Member

I recently purchased a Remington 700 Police in 223. The rifle shoots amazing which is making this decision very difficult. I want to shorten the 26" barrel to 20" by a well respected gunsmith. I am very worried this could negatively effect the accuracy. Right now it is shooting 1/2 groups with 60 v-max but I would love to cut it down 6 inches and get the gun Cerakota with fluted bolt and tactical Badger knob. Looking for reassurance the gun will still be a shooter. Thanks in advance

2. Trickymissfit

Trickymissfit Well-Known Member

you must have a faster twist barrel than I do in my 700VS. It'll shoot 60 grain bullets but they don't group as well as I'd like.

Anyway I did virtually the samething as you are thinking a few years back, and have never regretted it. My barrel was junk at the chamber end and the muzzel end. Shooting 55 grain Vmax bullets I saw a loss of 75fps, and of course the groups are a light year better. The barrel is much stiffer and thus reduces the harmonics. But if I were to do it over, I would have liked to have had 22" in length. What I really like (right now) is the over all balance of the rifle shooting off hand. It just dosn't act like it has a heavy barrel.

If you make the change, start out with BLC2 and H322 powders.
    gary

3. startslow

startslow New Member

I did basically what you are looking to do, just in .308. Had my 700P cut down from 26 to 22 inches with a threaded barrel. Sent it off to Adco firearms to have it done. They did it fast and there was no discernible loss in accuracy. Still love that gun.