Accuracy question

tommyc279

I recently purchased a Remington 700 Police in 223. The rifle shoots amazing which is making this decision very difficult. I want to shorten the 26" barrel to 20" by a well respected gunsmith. I am very worried this could negatively effect the accuracy. Right now it is shooting 1/2 groups with 60 v-max but I would love to cut it down 6 inches and get the gun Cerakota with fluted bolt and tactical Badger knob. Looking for reassurance the gun will still be a shooter. Thanks in advance

I recently purchased a Remington 700 Police in 223. The rifle shoots amazing which is making this decision very difficult. I want to shorten the 26" barrel to 20" by a well respected gunsmith. I am very worried this could negatively effect the accuracy. Right now it is shooting 1/2 groups with 60 v-max but I would love to cut it down 6 inches and get the gun Cerakota with fluted bolt and tactical Badger knob. Looking for reassurance the gun will still be a shooter. Thanks in advance

you must have a faster twist barrel than I do in my 700VS. It'll shoot 60 grain bullets but they don't group as well as I'd like.

Anyway I did virtually the samething as you are thinking a few years back, and have never regretted it. My barrel was junk at the chamber end and the muzzel end. Shooting 55 grain Vmax bullets I saw a loss of 75fps, and of course the groups are a light year better. The barrel is much stiffer and thus reduces the harmonics. But if I were to do it over, I would have liked to have had 22" in length. What I really like (right now) is the over all balance of the rifle shooting off hand. It just dosn't act like it has a heavy barrel.

If you make the change, start out with BLC2 and H322 powders.
gary

I did basically what you are looking to do, just in .308. Had my 700P cut down from 26 to 22 inches with a threaded barrel. Sent it off to Adco firearms to have it done. They did it fast and there was no discernible loss in accuracy. Still love that gun.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.