Accuracy Issues with 30 cal Nosler 190 gr Accubond LR

The impact velocity and energy at 30yds from a 300wm is awfully high so it very well may have broken up. Not many bullets other than Nosler Partitions, solids and monometal bullets will stay together at that range.

My son is currently shooting the ABLR 190's in his 300WM. Accuracy is pretty good, 5/8" at 100 yds. This past weekend the shot a Bull Elk CLOSE like 30 yds.. Great shoulder shot. Bullet NEVER exited ! Didn't even make it to the rib cage on the off side !! Terrible terminal performance for a bullet that heavy, at close range. Should have been a soft ball size hole in the off shoulder.
HOw far did the elk travel, did you recover the game?:)

My son is currently shooting the ABLR 190's in his 300WM. Accuracy is pretty good, 5/8" at 100 yds. This past weekend the shot a Bull Elk CLOSE like 30 yds.. Great shoulder shot. Bullet NEVER exited ! Didn't even make it to the rib cage on the off side !! Terrible terminal performance for a bullet that heavy, at close range. Should have been a soft ball size hole in the off shoulder.

Asking a bullet designed for long range performance to fully penetrate both shoulders of an elk at 30 yards after being fired from a magnum round is asking nearly the impossible. You're asking for the magic bullet that does everything at every distance.

I haven't seen one designed yet.

At 30 yards the last thing I would have done is put it in the shoulder. Put it in the heart/lungs and you likely would have had a grenade.

I used to shoot a smokeless muzzleloader a lot. The 200gr Shockwave was a great long range bullet. But I knew better than to put it in the shoulder at under 100 yards and expect good results. So when I got a shot at a buck at 40 yards I put it in the heart. It didn't exit, but blew up that area of the deer so completely that the sternum and part of 6 ribs was hanging out the bottom…short recovery on that one.

I have 190 and i cant get them to shot under 1.5". but we shot a white with the 210 at 100 yards quartering really hard and the bullet entered behind the shoulder and we found the bullet under the skin behind its head but we have not had great luck with the 210's either nothing under 1 1/4"

And lol would you be sharing this precious precise information??

I can't remember. But I believe it was concerning sating depth. I do know that if I have to screw with loads to get them to soot accurately, I'll go with different components. Besides, I don't think that there is much if any benefit with these bullets.

I have two unopened boxes of .284 AB Long Range. I doubt that benefit can be quantified. I'm more than good with Partition for elk and Sierra Gameking for deer.

BTW, if a hunter were to figure out which powder works best in his rifle, he ought to be able to get impressive velocities out of 24" barreled 7MM Rem Mags. For me, it's H-4831 with 160 Partitions. I easily 3100 FPS with this bullet. I know I could get higher velocity, but it would have little benefit.

With 150 grain bullets, I get an easy 3200 FPS.

If one were after high velocity 7MM Rem Mag rounds, I'd probably suggest RL-22/Norma MRP.

For big, heavy game, the Partition set the standard. While one could pay a lot more for bullets, I'd doubt that they'd perform better than the industry standard Partition. For deer-size game, just about any bullet will work.

My experience with the ABLR is with my 7mm rem mag. I tried the 150 and 168 grain bullets at varied seating depth with IMR 7828 at different charges. I have a 1:9.5" twist and I could never get either to shoot consistently. I gave up on them. My rifle loves the regular AB 160s with IMR 7828 powder, so this is what I shoot.

Seems like it did exactly what it was designed to do...

"Designed with an optimum performance window ranging from 3,200 fps to 1,300 fps, the unique tapered jacket geometry and proprietary bonding process of the AccuBond® LR allow it to expand rapidly for effective energy transfer and significant tissue damage while retaining sufficient weight to ensure deep penetration into the vitals."

Now we all just need Nosler to own there precise way and post it on the Net of how the bullets are supposed to be loaded. I do know in one of the boxes there was a sheet of paper that stated to load to maximum SAAI length. If this is there precise way then all I have ever got best is 1 inch groups. It would be nice to reduce this down by 1/2. I guess I'll keep shooting berger's and hornady's.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.