Accuracy help/ wanting info

meatyrem

Supposing that I want to bed my rifle: how much and who can do it if I don't know a smith who can do it.
Same thing on having an action trued: how much can I expect to pay and where can I have it done not knowing a smith who can do it.
I'm just curious as to what my options are supposedly if I need to do some things for improving accuracy. Also does lapping lugs go along with having an action trued?

Thanks for any help

For a full action bed in wood or fiberglass I charge $100. For pillar bedding I charge $175. To fully blueprint an action like a Remington I charge $150. You'll only want to do a action blueprint if your re-barreling. When I blueprint I single point re-cut the receiver threads which over sizes them from .005" to as much as .030". I then transfer the measurement onto the barrel tennon when installing a new barrel. If your keeping the factory barrel you may want to look into having just an accuracy package done. This tunes up as much as you can to a factory gun without changing the headspace. If you need someone to help you out feel free to give me a call or shoot me an e-mail sometime. I'd be glad to discuss some options with you.

Bedding is not hard, you can do it yourself. I have glassed beded acouple of guns that were already piller beded and improved the accuracy, I would not mess with piller bedding, get glass. As for the trigger most triggers can be adjusted so that they will suit most shooters, and you can also do that. If it`s real bad and you screw it up you can still get an after market trigger. I would causion you to make sure that the gun will not fire if banged or bumped after you liten the trigger. My 6-284 still has a Savage factory in it. It is alittle heaver than I like, but it is a field gun and I can live with it, at least for now.

I think there's a misinterpretation of pillar bedding. I've seen rifle come in that were claimed to have been pillar bedded but all that was done was pillars were installed but not bedded. Pillars will give your action a non compressible surface to sit on while the bedding makes a mold of your action and doesn't allow it to shift upon firing.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.