Accubonds or Siroccos??

bates132

Bout to start loading for my 300 win mag, and have narrowed it down to either 180 gr Accubonds or the 180 Siroccos. Any thoughts?

Let us know which one you decide on, and how it shoots.

I've been contemplating the same question for a custom 300 WSM that's in the works. I'll probably end up trying the AB, because the rifle could be used on close range stuff too.

I shoot and recommend the AccuBonds, but would recommend you try both for accuracy and performance in your rifle.

I'd take a good look at Hornady Interbonds.They are constructed very similar to Siroccos,shoot tight groups in my rifles and perform great on game.I find them to be tougher than Accubonds and have had complete penetration on deer and elk.

I have reloaded both for my 300WM eventually settled on the 180gn accubond.
The sirroccos do have a higher BC.520 compared to .507 for the AB's
I found that performance was good with both bullets accuracy 1/2moa . AB's are a tougher bullet for close range shots although I haven't recovered a bullet frm game I have dug them out of the soft ground behind my target. They both mushroomed well the sirroccos expanded more than the AB's.
Another point is that the sirroccos were much harder to find an accurate load for compared to the AB's and they copper foul really bad.
My load consists of 180gn AB 82.5g of h1000 F215m primers and Lapua brass. Velocity is 3050fps.

the majority of the posts are spot on. I've shot both in 300 RUM and 30.06. Nosler bullets have always been easy to load in my experience. They foul less and kill just fine in most instances. The scirocco has a solid copper jacket. It will foul a bbl more than the AB in almost every case if not every case. I have found exceptional loads with both bullets and yes, it took more time to do so with the scirocco. None of the loads were intended for really long range because I stopped development with 3/4 to 1/2 MOA.

In my opinion, the scirocco is the better bullet once it leaves the muzzle.

The accubond is going to be easier to load with due to the tangent ogive. The Swift is going to have the secant ogive (more aerodynamic) but they are very fussy about where they are seated in relation to the rifleing. Generally speaking the more rounded bullets like the accubond will be easier to load in a factory rifle w/ more free bore. However, you will see better ballistics out of the bullets like the berger vld, and swift scirroco if your bore is set up for this kind of bullet.

I originally considered the 180gr (BC= .507) NAB on my SAKO M995 23 1/2" 1:11 but opted for the 200gr (BC= .588) NAB instead. With CCI250 and 71.5gr H4831SC, OAL base (not ogive) to tip is 3.62", and I was getting ~1/3-1/2 MOA at 100 yards. A friend chronied it just shy of 2850 FPS. I still have plenty of room for refinement but it is currently on hold.

Good luck!

Ed

I also too am wanting to decide which one to load, until i found that the sciroccos are pure copper jacket. I want them for my .300 RUMS but i want to load with the 200gr; well, they dont make 200gr sciroccos, and the sciroccos foul more, so that kinda narrows it down a bit. I was thinking that the sciroccos were a tougher bullet than the NAB's are, am I wrong on that thought? I have heard a few guys out there that say they have had poor performance with the NAB and wont use them anymore. Can anyone shed a little light on this?

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.