Accubonds at 3700 fps

I've killed 3 elk with the 200g AB at 3200fps out of my 300 RUM. Ranges were from 200 yards, to 512 yards. I got complete passtrhoughs on all shots. Exits were the size of baseballs. Put the elk down in a hurry. I cannot see how the 200g AB could fail. Not to say that it cant, but I've done my own bullet testing and that bullet flat penetrates!!

[ QUOTE ]
SNIP
I cannot see how the 200g AB could fail. Not to say that it cant, but I've done my own bullet testing and that bullet flat penetrates!!

[/ QUOTE ]

The funny thing is that when you get extreme penetration the exit hole looks to be nearly caliber in size, mainly due to the elasticity of the hide. Some folks don't look at what the bullet did inside, but only conclude that the bullet did not open up and just penciled through.

You can't please everyone, but I will take penetration and a well placed shot over a huge short hole almost everytime on game animals.

edge.

http://www.hunt101.com/img/437709.jpg I am shooting a 257 stw, thanks for the replies the picture is of a 25 cal 100 grain ballistic tip that was recovered from a whitetail buck a couple years ago out of a 257 weatherby with a rather hot load. Shot was taken at less than thirty yards. Chest cavity was jello shot was on the bucks left side broad side shot, this is the only deer that ever ran from that gun, he did run back toward where my truck was parked /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I lost the lead core somewhere, it was there when I found the bullet under the hide. One thing was for sure the shock from the hit was an eye opener. The ribs along the back bone were broke I wish I had that hit on video. Thanks for the pictures of the accubonds, I do agree that shot placement is key with any bullet. I took a doe a few years ago with a 55 grain v max out of a 22-250 the bullet intered at the base of the neck and stopped half way in the back ham, it was down to the base of the bullet but it worked. It will be a learning experience this year with the rifle I will be using the accubonds and several of the wildcat bullets. Time will tell and I have two weeks off in November to find out. Thanks all oldfamily

Was able to go out and shoot at 300 yards and 500 this after noon. All I can say is I have found the bullet that this rifle loves. At 300 yards shot several milk jugs and then fired a group with a warm barrel. group was 3in with the first being 2 in high. I am 2.25 a 100 yards with a cool barrel this thing would be alot better than what I saw today learned shoot a group first before blasting jugs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
With the sun starting to hit my scope lens I drove out to the only area that I have at the time to shoot out to 500 yards, 501 to be on the exact. Drove to the opposite woodline and got set up in the shade on the edge of the tree line. I have a Burris ballistic plex on the rifle and my thinking would be that the bullet would drop about 17 inches at 500 yards, boy was I wrong. First shot was over and could not really tell how far off that I was. Second aimed dead center of jug shot landed low, third shot I aimed with the area between the cross hairs and first drop bar on the ballistic plex reticle, I was getting a wind from the south so I allowed just a slight drift in wind, I should not have. Bullet landed on the edge of jug about one inch from the side and about two inches from the bottom of the milk jug, straight in line wiht where I was aiming. Jug skipped along the ground to the right when the bullet struck. Needless to say I am hooked on this now. From where I was aiming and where the bullet struck was 11 inches of drop I don't know if this was a fluke or what, It would go with the first two rounds fired and with the impacts that I saw that would be right on the money I got pictures of the impact area to the truck but can not down load them for some reason, jug was busted out on the side just wish that it would have been center mass and would have looked like the jugs from 300 yards. Will post more once I get a chance to shoot some more and might be able to post picures of the area that I am shooting. Oldfamily

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.