Accubond vs. Berger 30 cal.

drpbroun5

I was discussing terminal ballistics in a 300 Jarrett or similiar rig with a chap recently . His experience was that the Bergers would frequently strike a target sideways (I assime tumbling) at long range. He really likes the Accubonds. I'm looking for bullets to use in long range hunting that have a high BC to shoot from a 300 Jarrett, a 7STW, and a .264 Win Mag. Being new to the long range sport I'm looking for any advice. Y'all sometimes use letter abbreviations with which I'm not familiar. Is there a table of these so us new guys can know what you are talking about?

Be sure you are aware of the twist rate of your barrel's rifleing. Often tumbling is a result of an understabilized bullet, generally the longer bullets require a faster twist.
Good Shooting,
Dave

It would be helpful to know how far you intend to shoot. Longrange means different things to different shooters.

Because you mentioned the Accubond bullet I will assume that you will be shooting game rather than just targets. The game animal you are in pursuit of will often rule a particular bullet in or out of consideration.

A little more info will get you lots of good advise from the guys who have been there and done that.

I will be hunting elk and deer. I'll try to develop the skills to be able to shoot out to approx 1000 yards. I have already taken some instruction in long range where I shot out to 1300 yds (had approx 18" group in 15mph 10 to 11 o'clock wind). I think all my rifles have a 1 in 10 twist. I don't know what twist the other guy was shooting. I think he was shooting a Weatherby Accumark in 30/378 factory rifle with hand loads. I saw John Burns "Beyond Belief" video set where he tested Berger VLD match bullets in wet newspaper and cow bones. Wow! I was impressed. It made me rethink weight retention bullets for hunting. I have always been more concerned with terminal ballistics, when bullet meets hide. I appreciate your ideas and hope to get lots of input from many of you. Thanks.
Paul

I dont know about your .264, but I doubt your STW has a 1-10 twist.

Accubonds are really an amazing bullet. I switched to them this year and dropped two deer in their tracks. They grouped excellant at the range as well.

I don't know about the twist on my STW. It was made up by George Fulmer in Calif a number of years ago. It has been sitting in my closet since the early '90s, unfired. We had a bad flood in South Georgia in 1994 that destroyed my loading equipment. I'm just now putting things back together so that I can load and shoot. I'm having to learn all over again. I'm excited about getting into long range shooting. We have clear cuts here in Georgia where a 1000 yd shot or more is the only way to get a deer sometimes. I also want to do some elk hunting in Montana in the Missouri brakes. I greatly appreciate all the info that y'all can give. Thank you!
Paul

I have used both to kill big game and can tell you that these two bullets are my favorite hunting bullets.

Bergers work just a hair better at ranges in excess of 800 yards if the shot is not exactly where you wanted it.

Accubonds work just a hair better at closer ranges when impact velocities tend to be high and more penetration is desired.

Bergers generally have higher ballistic coefficients, but Accubonds tend to be easier to get to shoot. It's a toss up!

[ QUOTE ]
I dont know about your .264, but I doubt your STW has a 1-10 twist.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most factory 7STW barrels have a 9.25/9.5 twist, I believe. My custom 7STW wears a 10 twist Hart barrel and will shoot the 162gr A-Max and 160 Accubond into tiny groups. Longer bullets, like the Berger 180gr will not stabilze in my 10 twist.

Check the 264 twist.- 1/10 seems a bit low to me if you want to use heavy 6,5 cal bullets since they tend to be very long.

I´ve never tried the bergers but want to use them soon.

I´ve shot game with sierra SBT, hornay sst, ballistic tip, swift scirocco, nosler partition, hornady interbonds and nosler accubond, plus some others.

I agree with what has ben said, the nosler accubond tends to shoot well and has what I would call very balanced terminal ballistics.- a diferent bullet may work better for a specific situation but in general terms I consider they are an all round bullet,. when you are out hunting you never know what the conditions and distance of the shot will be so my thinking is to choose a bullet that will cover as many situations as possible.

Nosler is expected to release a 130 accubond in 6,5 cal. soon.

I've been hunting with a 300 jarrett for approx. 5 years now. It's twisted 12 and loves anything from 165's to 175 SMK's. I feel that a 10 twist would have been better so 200's could be used. I have come to the conclusion that for moderate range, 0-400 yards, a bonded type bullet should be utilized so jacket core separation could be minimized. At ranges exceeding 400 yards, bullets with softer jackets like SGK's, SMK's etc. could be used since velocities would have dropped off and Jacket Core separation would have been minimized. I currently use the Swift Scirocco's for 400 yards and under and 175 SMK's for beyond 400 yards. These two bullets have POI of less than .50 moa difference at 400 yards, minimal for the range. This has worked good for me this year resulting in less tissue damage at close range. The two bullets you are asking about should do the same for you if used like I described. The Bergers hit like a hammer out of my friends 300 RUM and the Accubonds drive tacks from his sons rifle. Good Luck

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.