Accubond 200 Versus 3/4" Concrete Stake!!!

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by Eaglet, Sep 30, 2005.

1. Eaglet

Eaglet Well-Known Member

Accubond 200 Versus 3/4\" Concrete Stake!!!

Gentlemen, I did not mean to hit this 3/4" concrete steel stake at 103 yards... but I did. 200 grains accubond out of my 300 RUM @ mv = 3150 f/s. I was testing a new lot of bullets, they're coming out some what slower... still hit that steel stake dead on and I thought some of you would be interested in looking at what happened. Picked the stake out of the ground, stake about 2.5 feet long, threw it about 8 feet back. Only thing left of the bullet was the very base's thin copper skin, the very back of it. I put it in my pocket to photograph it and I lost it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif The steel stake was completely straight originally.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. sewwhat89

sewwhat89 Well-Known Member

Re: Accubond 200 Versus 3/4\" Concrete Stake!!!

WOW!

Last year I shot my the leg of my feeder instead of a pig's cerebrum. The legs are made of pipe stem, and the 300 SAUM 150 gr Corelokt Ultra put a hole in the first side of the pipe and split out the back side. It torqued the leg out a little, but it is no worse for wear. I fear the pigs may have been deafened by the bullet's impact because I then stalked to within about 15 feet of them before I popped two of them in the head.

BTW, the reason I missed the first time is the rings failed. The recoil and oversized scope along with some laws of physics, dislodged the rear rings from my base. The retainer semi-moon thing on the rings was peeled from the rings. I have now killed two sets of rings on my Model 7 300 SAUM. Both died the same way, and I am only about 400 rounds into the life of this rifle.

3. wapiti13

wapiti13 Well-Known Member

Sewwhat89, Get some Talley rings and bases. The recoil shoulder in the base is excellent. The rings are line bored out of stock and don't move under recoil even in my light rifle. Good luck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

4. sewwhat89

sewwhat89 Well-Known Member

I will when Leupold stops the warranty on the rings I am using. Out of necessity I will have to. My latest set have not moved at all yet. If my zero starts to move, I'll know its time to change. Thanks for the info. Where is the best plave to get them?

Midsouth?

5. Eaglet

Eaglet Well-Known Member

I'm using the Burris Signature Rings and Pos-Align Offset Inserts. I have Shot around 400 rounds full hot loads while using them and I can't complaint. If I do my job with a factory barrel, I frequently get 1/2" groups at 100 yards.
    Need to say that I don't have a muzzle brake on the rifle.

6. Coyboy

Coyboy Well-Known Member

Eaglet, I find that a drill press works better for putting holes through bar stock. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. Eaglet

Eaglet Well-Known Member

Coyboy,
    I thought so too. Believe me this is easier. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

8. sure shot

sure shot Well-Known Member

That thing had concrete inside it? FU%KING SWEET! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

9. Eaglet

Eaglet Well-Known Member

No... what you see is lead just splattered, fused like inside onto the steel wall inside the hole. It's a solid 3/4" steel bar. What I did not mention before was that the bar was in the ground and 2 steel screws were through the drilled holes holding a wood board with a target on it. So the 200 grain accubond pulled the steel stake off the board, out of the ground and away about 8 feet. Pretty awesome impact.

10. budlight

budlight Well-Known Member

Eaglet - Glad to here that somebody else is from Nevada here on the forum.

The problem is: You don't have enough speed for the diameter of your bullet. I've found that it's not the mass so much a shear speed that can blow though metal.

Out at our metal target range none of the 30's or 338 win mags ever punch holes through 1/2 mild steel swinging targets at 200 and more yards. Although nobody has brought out a 30 RUM with 150 grain that I know off. The targets just get covered with impact craters like in your pictures. The 22's through 7mm just vaporize holes through.

Even a 270 win with 140 hpbt will go through when a heavy bullet out of 30 win mag won't

11. Eaglet

Eaglet Well-Known Member

budlight,
    Nice to know. I thought I was the only one... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    Very interesting what you say in your post.
    Have you ever used the Washoe County Shooting Facility
    towards Pyramid Lake? Specifically the 1000 yard range?
    I have never used it, I would like to though but they told me you had to be a member of a long range club or something like that.
    Good to hear from you!

12. budlight

budlight Well-Known Member

Yes, You were told correct info. It's only open during events. I have shot my 7stw and 50's there.